Tutorial / example - managing preset switching within a bank

Thought it might be useful to write up how I manage preset activation within a bank for any new folks!

This is a simple “one footswitch turns one pedal on (with the required sound) then off again” model. Of course one footswitch can activate / bypass many pedals at once… but that’s outside the scope of this example.

I have three pedals, for which I’ve determined how to:

1. activate the pedal (with a given sound recalled) via MIDI PC and/or CC, and
  2. bypass the pedal via MIDI PC and/or CC.

C4

To activate a patch on this, I send CC# 104 with a value of 0-127 (which corresponds to a patch on the pedal) to MIDI channel 1.
To bypass this, I send CC# 102 value 0 to MIDI channel 1.

Aftershock

To activate a patch on this, I send PC 0 thru 4 (which corresponds to a patch on the pedal) to MIDI channel 2.
To bypass this, I send CC# 102 value 0 to MIDI channel 3.

Mercury

To activate a patch on this, I send PC 40 thru 45 (which corresponds to a patch on the pedal) to MIDI channel 2.
To bypass this, I send CC# 102 value 0 to MIDI channel 4.

(Yes - both AS & Mercury are on the same MIDI channel for patch activation via PC, and that MIDI channel is different from that used for bypass… it’s a legacy Source Audio/Neuro Hub thing :grinning:).

I send MIDI out from the MC - there is no MIDI coming back into the MC.

Within my Core Sounds bank I have these presets:

Preset Name Pedal
A Filter C4
B C4Muff C4
C TubeL Aftershock
D Chorus4 Mercury
E Oct C4
F Phase Mercury
G 303 C4
H 24k C4
I BlFrg C4
J AutoWah C4
K Cruel C4
L Motion C4
  • I want the MC’s footswitch label to flash when a preset is active, and stop flashing when it’s no longer active.
  • I want to set this bank up so that there can only ever be one “C4” preset active at any one time.
  • I want to set this bank up so that there can only ever be one “Aftershock” preset active at any one time.
  • I want to set this bank up so that there can only ever be one “Mercury” preset active at any one time.
  • BUT I do want to be able to “layer” pedals, so that I can have any combination of C4, Aftershock and Mercury active at the same time.

First thing is to set ‘Clear Preset Toggles’ off in Bank Settings:

If it’s on, I won’t be able to layer pedals like I want.

But if you’ve got a bank where you do only ever want one preset to be active at once turn this on, and ignore the msg 2 stuff below!

For all presets in this bank:
Toggle Mode is on.
Preset Blink is on.
I have used the same text for Short Name and Toggle Name.

Here’s preset A

If this Preset is not already engaged, then when I Press this switch it’s label starts flashing and the messages whose ‘Pos’ (toggle position) is set to ‘1’ are fired:

• Msg 1 engages a sound on the C4.
  • Msg 2 dis-engages the toggle for all other C4 presets in this bank, but doesn’t touch the Aftershock and Mercury presets in this bank.

Let’s look at msg 2 in detail:

• “This preset” (in this case preset A) is not checked.
  • “All other presets that do use this pedal” are checked (presets B, E, G, H, I, J, K, L).
  • ”Presets that don’t use this pedal” are not checked (presets C, D, F)

If this preset is already engaged, then when I Press this switch it’s label stops flashing and the messages whose Pos is set to ‘2’ are fired:

• Msg 3 bypasses the C4.

Here’s preset D

If this Preset is not already engaged, then when I Press this switch it’s label starts flashing and the messages whose ‘Pos’ (toggle position) is set to ‘1’ are fired:

• Msg 1 engages a sound on the Mercury.
  • Msg 2 dis-engages the toggle for all other Mercury presets in this bank, but doesn’t touch the Aftershock and C4 presets in this bank.

Let’s look at msg 2 in detail:

• “This preset” (in this case preset D) is not checked.
  • “All other presets that do use this pedal” are checked (preset F).
  • ”Presets that don’t use this pedal” are not checked (presets A, B, C, E, G, H, I, J, K, L).

If this preset is already engaged, then when I Press this switch it’s label stops flashing and the messages whose Pos is set to ‘2’ are fired:

• Msg 3 bypasses the Mercury.

Here’s the json for this Bank (MC6). Have fun!
Morningstar_MC6_MKII_Bank_Backup_Core sounds_20220801_201019.json (25.7 KB)

1 Like

Clarify please. You are not sending PC messages to Aftershock and Mercury, instead you are sending PC messages to your Neuro Hub, correct?

Exactly correct. The C4 can be used via the hub/PC but I choose not to, instead I send it CC

But for the other two yes they’re part of neuro hub scenes, where those scenes only contain the one pedal (either AS or Mercury).

I mapped the “bypass” CC manually on both AS and Mercury

1 Like

I have a similar setup. Thanks for sharing your workflow, it is helpful to see what others are doing. In fact, that is what I like most about these controllers…I have re-thought and expanded my workflow several times as I see how others are doing theirs.

I have an all Source Audio board (LA Lady, Ultra Wave, Lunar Phaser, and Collider). I also like to “layer” presets as I go. I use Message Scrolling to cycle through about 5 presets per pedal ( I use an MC3, along with an Aux Switch)

Bank 1 contains presets for compression and gain
Bank 2 contains presets for modulation
Bank 3 contains presets for reverb and delay

Aux switch used for Banking, Tap Tempo, and miscellaneous functions like using the waveform generator to “ramp up” and “ramp down” my Leslie presets, using a CC to activate tremolo or using the remote expression CC to choose between 2 versions of a preset (programmed per preset on the Ultrawave and Collider)

All in all, I can control these 4 pedals pretty efficiently and dial up everything I need quickly.

3 Likes

Some NICE pedal choices there. Guitarist I guess? I’m bass so my needs are sooo simple. And ability is simple too. The board’s smarter than me :grin:

Yeah the MC let’s you slice it anyway. Kudos for external switch - really opens up the live workflow, makes it easier to do “between song stuff”

The hub’s needed for the older pedals of course… and it’s a little clunky to set up but somehow ok. I’ve found myself making scenes with eg Mercury sound #1 (with only the mercury in the scene) and a copy with that same sound but with the AS also in the scene but bypassed. I’ve found when I do want to build a bank of MC presets with “more than one pedal per switch” it’s just easier to bypass/engage “many things on the hub at once” if the scene is doing the bypass/engage.

Can be done on the MC, but I got bored by the logical thinking it was requiring! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I should mention that, after buying the MC3 about a year ago (replacing a soleman), I began to think of using just the controller on stage. My pedalboard stays on the backline behind or beside my Amp. I run one midi cable to the front of stage and power the MC3 with a small cell phone power bank. The MC3 and Aux switch are the only thing under my feet.

Thank you for this post.
But please help.!!!
I’m new and I’ve spent a dozen hours setting up my MC6 with my Red PAnda Raster 2.
I can’t seem to get the presets to toggle of when switching to another preset in same bank. I always have to double tap a preset to turn back on.
I tried all your set ups below but it did not solve.

So I want to press preset A, play some guitar then press preset B, play, then go back to A, with one press each time (now I’m doing two presses to re-engage)

Here’s what I’ve done (and it’s not working)

1. Press. PC. Pos1
  2. Press
    .cC. Set toggle. Pos1. All presets in bank are highlighted except the preset I want to use “b”
  3. Press. Cc. Pos 1. Cc81. Cc127 (on)
  4. Press. CC. Pos 2. Cc88. Cc 0 (off).

Is there a global setting I’m missing ?
I have Bank toggle off.

Can you take a screenshot of both presets and paste them here please?

Hi, sure here are the screen shots. THANKS SO MUCH! for replying, I’m having such a hard time. I spend hours each night!

So, what I want to (basically what you said in your post).
I want press a button (e.g. A) effect to turn on, A to blink, then to press B (or C or D…etc), and then the A preset will turn off, stop blinking, and the B preset will turn on and blink.
Right now I’m having to double press to turn the effect back on when I go to a new preset or bank to a previous preset.

Bank 1 preset A (toggle mode and blink is “on”)

see next message for preset B (system her won’t let me add two pics).

Here is the screen shot for Bank 1 preset B (toggle mode is on and also blink is on)
I even put them in different orders (the messages compared to 1A, I’ve tried it all).

In your preset a screenshot, your CC 81 message is set to position = Both. I’m guessing that should be position 1?

Hi, thanks for your help.
Yes you are completely right, that last message should be position 1 instead of both.
But, I’m still having this problem on the preset above, the one that was done correctly (well as far as I know).
Or, did I make a mistake in my setting of preset 1A?
Could there be a system set up thing I’m missing or something I need to uncheck somewhere else?
I"m using a Raster 2 delay and now I just added a Boss Syn2 pedal, both on different banks.

I’m also on the latest firmware as of Aug 5,2022.

See bank setting - clear all toggle presets turn ON
Blink happens in TOGGLE MODE
Tuen Toggle Mode on for all the switches.

I.e. press switch a - into position 2 - it blinks
Press switch B in position 1 - blink stops.
Press switch B in position 2 - it blinks
Etc etc.

Also read about toggle groups

See here in editor manual:

Lol. I didn’t know there was already a how-to! Or if I did I’d forgotten.

@JTGibson - I guess the PC you’re sending selects the patch? If so, try adding a position 1 message with a Delay of a few milliseconds between that and the ‘engage’ CC. Your MC preset setup looks correct to me based on reading the raster manual.

The MC will send the PC and CC to the raster within microseconds of each other. I’m wondering if it can’t process them that quickly?

Thank you so much for your reply. I can’t wait to try this out. I will report back.
(Wow, side note, I do find midi very challenging)

Thnx so much for your reply!
I also have a boss Sys 200 (synth pedal, I think that’s what it’s called). It also does the same thing as the raster. I will try above and I will report back. Thnx again!

I got it thnx for your help!!!
I had too many cC messages.
I just needed one PC and one CC
Then the bank setting as stated in above reply.

Thanks all for your help

1 Like