TRS to MIDI Cable - Will It Work with Strymon Big Sky?

I’ve bought a TRS to MIDI Cable to connect my Strymon Big Sky to my Morningstar MC8 via an OMNI-port. However I naively didn’t check the way its wired before purchasing.

I’ve not been able to get it working despite trying every type of OMNI-port in settings: i…e

• MIDI Out - Standard
  • MIDI Out - Tip Active
  • MIDI Out - Ring Active
  • MIDI Out - Type B

I just pulled out a volt meter and verified that the cable is wired up as follows…

• TIP = DIN pin 4 (Current Source)
  • RING = DIN pin 1 (???)
  • SLEEVE = DIN pin 2 (Shield)

But that wiring type does not look to be listed on this website https://minimidi.world/ . MIDI din pin 5 (Sink) isn’t wired up at all with my cable, am I dead in the water?

Here’s a DIN pin schematic for reference…

MIDI-Input.c2358f2a

It’s a little confusing what you are saying because you draw a picture where MIDI DIN pin 2 is wired up to Shield (TRS Sleeve, which is correct), but then you say after that MIDI DIN pin 2 isn’t wired up at all in your cable.

If you really meant to say MIDI DIN pin 5 isn’t wired up in your cable (as would appear to be the case in your drawing), then yes, you would be dead in the water with that cable. The Strymon pedal is not going to use PIN 1 or 3 for anything. It must be DIN PIN 4, 5 & 2 (ground).

Thank @Joe_K, my original post had an error which I’ve corrected now.

Thanks also for confirming my suspicions that the cable is useless :angry:

I guess I’ll buy another cable/adpater and make sure its explciitly listed as “type a” or “type b”. :roll_eyes:

Morningstar sells these too!

Thanks, this is a good shout but unfortunately I’m in the UK and the shipping is outrageous.

I like to try and keep all my visible wiring/connections as low profile as possible and currently use right angled MIDI cables (either Rockbiard FlaX or those expensive fully rotatable ones). To keep benefiting from that I’m trying to source a 6.35mm (1/4 inch) TRS to female MIDI DIN but this doesn’t seem to exist with the appropriate pins wired up. There’s a few 3.5mm (1/8 inch) ones out there but they obviously won’t fit in the omni-port sockets.

I’ll probably just resort to using two adapters - a 3.5mm (1/8 inch) to female MIDI adapter and a 3.5mm (1/8 inch) to 6.35mm (1/4 inch) TRS jack.

1 Like