SysEx Documentation

Is there any SysEx documentation available for MC8
or will we get everything we need to know with a MIDI listener?

I’m about to purchase an MC8 and am looking over the documentation before purchase. The requirement to be online to use the MC8 editor is not great for my purposes. I’d much rather have an offline editor. I do understand the reasons for having online documentation and apps; makes sense.

My internet speed is unbelievably slow 1Mbps. I realize that speed might be fine for the editor; yet I am not the only user in my house.

thanks

What sort of SysEx documentation are you looking for?

With regards to the editor, there is an offline app as well: https://github.com/Morningstar-Engineering/Desktop-Editor-MKII/releases

Hi James,
Whatever SysEx there is, if there is any official documentation. It’s no big deal, I was just curious. I might be spending too much time in the SysEx dimension lately :man_facepalming:t3:

OK, a better question: is the MC8 capable of sending SysEx messages? If so, is there a size limit to the SysEx messages?

Thanks for the link to offline editor =-D

From the MC8 User Manual:
MIDI Editor

Connecting the device
Connect the device via USB to your computer and launch the editor in the latest version of Google Chrome (the Web Editor works on Google
Chrome only).

Does the editor only connect via usb? Is 5pin DIN not possible?

cheers,
_todd

Yes, the MC8 is able to send SysEx messages, but the length is limited to 46 (if you use all 16 messages in the Preset).

The Editor can only be connected via USB. How are you planning to connect it with the DIN 5 connector?

In the v3.7 beta firmware, we updated it to work with the WIDI Master, so its possible to connect to the editor once you have the WIDI Master connected to your computer via Bluetooth MIDI.

“Yes, the MC8 is able to send SysEx messages, but the length is limited to 46 (if you use all 16 messages in the Preset).”
46 SysEx messages; great! Are there limitations on the size of the messages? What about a message with 1500 bytes like a Lexicon PCM8x Single Effect Dump?

“The Editor can only be connected via USB. How are you planning to connect it with the DIN 5 connector?”
Using 5pin DIN cables to and from RME UFX+;
just the same as I connect all of my other MIDI devices to my computer.
USB is a wrinkle; but not a deal breaker.

I bought an MC8 yesterday :slight_smile:

“In the v3.7 beta firmware, we updated it to work with the WIDI Master, so its possible to connect to the editor once you have the WIDI Master connected to your computer via Bluetooth MIDI.”
I’ve been using Yamaha BT-01 adaptors for a couple of years now for my Bluetooth MIDI. I could make space for another Bluetooth adaptor, I suppose. USB will probably be easier for me with my current set up. I’ll be using the MC-8 wired…I’ll have to investigate my phantom power to it, tho