[Solved] MC8 Ipad editor app

anyone looking forward to this?
it would be great if you could edit it with an iPad …

you can run the editor on ipad with the lightning to usb converter. You just need to run the editor on this app called Web Midi browser

I couldn’t get this to work.
I tried https://editor-mkii.morningstar.io/ and https://editor-mkii.web.app/ from Web Midi Browser. But I can’t make a Connection from either.
The Settings show my MC8 is connected and the default home page for Web Midi Browser shows my midi commands being sent out to it.
It is an iPad Pro (about 3 years old). iOS version is 3.6 (just updated) and MC8 is latest also (3.6.3) . Lightning to USB Connector.

I probably won’t use this anytime soon and was just trying it out from curiosity, so it isn’t important for me to get it working. Just chiming in just in case it isn’t just me and something needs to be adjusted.

Oh, we fixed a bug in the web editor that prevented Web Editor on iPad to connect to the controller (although it did work on Android). The changes are now in the staging editor (https://editor-mkii-staging.morningstar.io/). If you can, can you try that and let me know if it still does not work for you?

That link to the Staging Editor https://editor-mkii-staging.morningstar.io/ does work for me. On iPad and iPhone
A note, I needed to go into the Web Midi Browser settings and turn on the Enable SysEx option for it to start working.
This could be pretty handy to have if I need to make some adjustments at a show. Thanks!

This is great
I will try when the converter gets here.
But when using the web midi browser, you need an internet connection?
I wish an ipad app rhat works without wifi is in developement

1 Like

Hello,
is it possible to use it with ipad pro that has usb-c directly (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter) or do I need also multiport (hdmi) adapter kit? https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUF82AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

Thanks

I’m guessing that first adapter would probably work for you. My iPad is an older one with a lightning port, but this adapter worked for me.

1 Like

Does not work for me. I copied and pasted the link into the web midi browser. I get the same thing as I do on chrome. It says that I already have it open in another tab and I don’t. It will not connect. I am using an iPad with the lightning/ camera adapter.
I guess it’s just not meant to be.

is it showing the editor page? I got the same “open in another tab” message, but it brought up the editor page for me. It wouldn’t connect at first, but I went into the Web Midi Browser settings and turned on Enable SysEx, then it worked for me.

If I try to use version 1.0.11 beta the editor page comes up and says no device found.
If I use version 1.0.8 I get the editor page and when I click on connect it just hangs on “ connecting”
I have the MC6 and not the 8 but I don’t think that matters .

Also I have enabled SysEx

There was a bug in the current editor that prevented the device from connecting on iOS but we fixed that issue in the staging web editor (1.0.11 beta). What iOS device are you using?

I am also using the lightning to USB adaptor from the Apple store. Those adaptors are not the most reliable though. I am on my 3rd piece already.

I am using an IPad Air with iOS 13.6. I have also tried it on my older gen 2 IPad with iOS 10.3.3.
I have the Apple camera USB adapter.
It’s not a big deal, I do have a lap top. I do most my editing on the device itself anyway. Just thought it would be convenient to be able to use the iPad.

1 Like

Just wanted to update in case anyone else is trying to use an iPad . I can now Connect to the web editor with the iPad using webmidi and the Widi master over Bluetooth. Still not able to figure out the usb connection with the camera adapter but I think that may be caused by using a cheap adapter and not the official iPad camera adapter.
So now I can use my iPad wirelessly to edit my MC6 AND Live View is working as well. Thank you for continuing to update the MC6 and MC8 and listening to all of us supporters / users.
Matt

2 Likes

Anyone having any luck with an iPad using a USB-C to USB adapter to work with the MC8 Editor App? Here’s my set up…

iPad PRO 13.7 OS
MC8 v3.7.1
Google Chrome(up to date)
Web Midi Browser SysEx enabled

I know the USB adapter and USB cable work because Web Midi Browser shows it’s connected.

When I open the Editor is says “that app is already open in another tab”…I click through a couple of the promps and it eventually takes me to the Editor page but it says my MC8 isn’t connected. I tried unhooking/re hooking up the cables, refreshed the browser, closed and re-opened the browser, restarted my iPad, MC8.

Anything else I’m missing? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Can you send a screenshot of what you see on your iPad? Which URL are you going to for the editor?

We’ve tested it with a Lightning to USB adaptor and it works fine. I can give it a go again tomorrow once I’m in the office.

I have exactly the same problem with the iPad using the Apple USB C to Lightning Adapter.
The connection is definitely working ( tested with other MIDI apps on the iPad) but the Chrome based editor is stating in a popup that I use the wrong browser.I should use Chrome instead (what I do! ).
And after restarting the Chrome Browser same effect. When I click the popup away, the editor is stating no device recognized.

iPad Pro iOS 14.0.1

Using this editor

1 Like

That’s 100% my same experience as well. I’ll post some additional screen shot later today. Thanks

A hint to the programmers:

I guess you try to detect the browser by „user agent string“ what is always tricky to do.
Here is the one of my Chrome

Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 14_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/86.0.4240.77 Mobile/15E148 Safari/604.1

which is Chrome 86 on iOS 14 Apple iPad

Have a look if this is correctly recognized by your code as Chrome browser.

1 Like