Referencing user library preset names on MC6 Pro and other questions

I recently got an MC6 Pro, and my dream is to be able to use it to reduce friction when working on new sounds on the fly. As well as having banks configured for specific songs, I am hoping to have a set of banks that I can use to experiment with different midi presets with my connected pedals without having to use an editor or spend ages menu diving crouched over my pedalboard.

So far I have configured a sound exploration patch, in which I can toggle specific pedals on or off, and also enter a new bank that is set up to allow deeper configuration for a specific pedal. The bank uses 2 presets for incrementing and decrementing a PC counter that corresponds to a specific pedal, and It’s cool to be able to reference the counter number with %E{counter}. What would be amazing is if I could also reference and display the preset name for that PC number.

To illustrate, right now when I am in the bank I have set up for editing my strymon deco, I have switches E and B set to bank up and down through presets using counter 9, and each preset name is “Editing: Deco\nPreset: %E9”. What I’d like is if I could use the value of counter 9 to look up the preset name from my User Library and display that.

As far as I can tell, it looks like LCD 3 isn’t really used much - maybe that could be used to display this information?

The upside of this is that I’d be able to see at a glance what preset I am currently on by name, and also if I have a preset assigned to this PC number. I can’t keep track of what sounds map to what PCs across all my pedals so I am hoping the MC6 can accomplish this for me.

If anyone has other ideas for how this could be accomplished, please let me know!

Hi, it is possible to display preset names but it’s a bit complicated to set this up. Have a read:

1 Like

HI, did you see this? A new way to configure the MC6Pro - #4 by gateley
It doesn’t (yet) have the features you need, but I’d love to work with you to get them there.

John

Hey John, I did see that and I was actually planning on messaging you!

I have been trying to create something similar for the Boss ES-8 for a long time. Frankly, without much success. I think I approached this from a slightly different angle, but with largely the same intent. I have the code in a repo here. I think the last time I was working on this, I was trying to create an interactive CLI tool with the intent of combining the data model of the ES-8 with more contextual information about midi configurations. The initial motivation was to allow for bulk edits to specific parts of a given bank or patch (EG to configure one footswitch on the ES-8 to have the same actions on every patch, and also to then modify these global configurations). I came up with a pretty neat but extremely overly complicated way of applying changes to a given patch by storing changes as masks and then using a reducer to collapse the masks onto a new version of the patch.

In its current form I think it is largely non-functional and incomplete. But the underlying motivation is I think the same that you have, and also is actually why I ended up buying Morningstar hardware. I want an all-in-one solution where I can manage all of my midi presets across all pedals, but also maintain a stateful store of these presets. And ideally i want to do it on a device like the MC6, but if that isn’t possible, at least I’d like to be able to do it all from an iPhone app connected to my board wirelessly. Morningstar seems to be soooo close – there is even the stateful layer – but it’s just missing some way to marry those two together.

I’d love to chat to you about this - let me know how best to collaborate.

Hi Alex,

I took a quick look at the repo - interesting, but I don’t know enough about the ES-8 to really understand it.

My repo is here: GitHub - jgateley/MC6ProIntuitive: Configuring the Morningstar MC6Pro via an intuitive config file
I didn’t post the link yet in that thread as it is very early in development.

It’s a different approach - it is an entire configuration file, not a patch. The backup file for the MC6Pro is not human readable - it is 11MBytes long, and everything is spelled out in detail. Impossible to tweak without making a mistake. So I created a different language for the config file, something very (hopefully) human readable, that is processed into a backup-format file that can be loaded onto the MC6Pro.

You can run it yourself to try out. Converting your current backup will almost certainly fail: it fails (intentionally) when it finds a feature that isn’t implemented yet.

And if you don’t mind, send me a backup of your current config. I’ll run that and use it to drive development of the next features. It is too large to email, can you share it via Google drive?

Thanks!

John

Hey John, I’m hoping to take a look at this in detail this weekend. At first glance I think our approaches are actually quite similar in some important aspects - in both cases it basically boils down to trying to create an interface that abstracts away or hides device-specific configuration details in favour of something that is more focused on the things you’re trying to create with it (patches, sounds, songs, etc).

I have come up with a system on the MC6 pro I’m mostly happy with, which I’ll also post about this weekend in case it’s useful. It’s a similar approach to the one linked further up, but generalized to work with any midi pedal.

Here’s a summary:

• one bank is dedicated to simply turning on and off connected pedals. Each pedal corresponds to one preset.
  • enabling the preset turns on the corresponding loop(s) on the ML10x, OR engages the pedal depending on the context.
  • for midi enabled pedals, holding down that preset switch bank jumps to a page in a different bank containing config options for that pedal.
  • each page has two buttons dedicated to paging through presets, using a counter specific to that pedal.
  • one preset per page contains only patch rename actions, and is set to message scroll. This means I can only store 31 named presets per pedal (the last message is used to invert scroll direction), but I think this should be plenty.
  • the preset up/down buttons increment the message scroll counter.
  • the down button took some puzzling. It works by sending a message to invert the scroll direction of the message counter, before then telling the counter to move one space. To ensure the counter is then inverted again, a message is used to invert scroll direction on preset disengage as well.
  • the message scroll patch is subtly different for pedals that start at preset 0. This also took some puzzling. I got around this by manually setting preset 31’s preset message to be 0 - {preset name} as opposed to using %g.
  • pedal setting pages have pedal specific options. Eg for the thermae you can engage oscillation or page thru sequencer steps, for the preamp mk ii you can switch between fuzz and mids modes, and hold to save preset settings.
  • there’s an exit button which takes you back to the initial bank and page. This ignores bank messages on enter - this is because the initial bank has messages set to reset the toggle state of each preset and also call up a specific ml10x preset. Ignoring it means that when you’re done fiddling, you get returned to the manually set state of each pedal with whatever preset you had modified still active.

Small issues at the moment:

• The preset message you see when entering a pedal config bank is wrong until you press a button - this seems to be something unavoidable from what I’ve read.
  • I’m not sure if I could manually update individual preset rename messages on the fly easily on the MC6 Pro without loading up the editor each time.
  • This is entirely separate from the user patch library. I’d need to add any new presets both to the preset rename bank and to the preset library.

It would be great in the future if the preset renaming action could use a scroll counter (message or system) as an index to look up preset names automatically from the user preset library.