Problem with ML5

Hello,

I have a problem with the configuration of 2 pieces. ML5 on my board, which related to a

MC6 MKII working (see my midi schematic). I want to toggle between relay A and relay B on the first Ml5 (it has channel #5) (it activates the loop for multi-effects Nux MG30 on “A” or Line6 hx stomp on channel “B” (optional). This function I programmed it and it’s already working. I also configured relay “C” on the same ML5 (this can also be done if desired), relay “C” switches the loop for the second ML5 (in/out) with channel no 6 which is attached to it.

The “D” relay of the first ML 5 (channel #5) is connected to the send/return outputs of the Nux MG30 extra and the “E” relay is connected to the send/return outputs of the Line6 hx stomp.

So far so good, now to the problem! If I give the first ML5 the command to activate relay “A” (or B) and activate relay “C” at the same time, then that’s ok, but of course I would also like to activate the loops connected there on the second ML5 after my selection , but that only works with the loops “A” and “B” on the second ML5 (with channel no. 6), but if I activate further relays there, i.e. “C” and “D” and “E”, then the ML5 (No.1 on channel 5) also switches automatically, i.e. parallel to it, although no command was given for it? So in the preset configuration of the MC6 MKII I can only ever loop “A”; Getting “B” and “C” to work on the first ML5, however as soon as I want to switch loops “D” and “E” separately, both ML5s act as if they are a common switch, but the preset’s default is separate? I don’t understand where the problem can be.

The settings for pos. 1 and pos. 2 or both or when exiting (toggle function) is correct in my opinion and does not overlap. If anyone has an idea or solution please post, thanks!
(Hint!) The small disaster area micro-controller is only for bank up/down and preset page turning as an aid (this already works)!

There are a few things you can do to troubleshoot.

1. Remove MC6 MIDI IN cable and USB cable. Does the ML5(1) still switch when you are sending only to ML5(2)
  2. Connect MC6 directly to ML5(1) and send the messages for ML5(2) and see if ML5(1) switches
  3. Check the MIDI Monitor to make sure there are no intended MIDI messages being sent

Answer ML5

Hello James,

ok, I will be able to try it out on Saturday at the earliest, then I’ll post my findings.

First of all, thank you for the quick reply!

Greetings, Jens

1 Like

Hello James,
ok, I have now carried out an intensive test, unfortunately without a good result. So that external influences can be ruled out (as far as possible), I have removed all devices in the midi line and only left the ML5 (No. 2 for my effects loops) in connection with the MC6 MKII, i.e. connected directly to each other. These two devices were only connected directly with standard DIN midi cables! I have now tried to send a direct PC command (and later also a CC command) to the configured address (or channel number 6, of the ML5 in question), unfortunately without any reaction. I then replaced and renewed the cable, that’s not the reason either. This ML5 simply does not react to a specifically assigned channel number at the moment! Even after a factory reset, I could not achieve control on channel 6. However, if I activate “Omni”, i.e. reception on all channels on the ML5 with the “A” button and according to the instructions in the manual, then it reacts (felt on an arbitrary channel setting)! I did not test the other option, which would still be possible, i.e. at start (switches B to E), because this ML5 is supposed to work on channel 6?
So if I now switch all devices together again with Midi (as in my plan), then I have the same result, the ML5 (No.2 with channel 6= effect loops) switches exactly synchronously to the ML5 No.1 with channel No. 5), but only as soon as I program commands or loops on ML5 No. 2? The problem also occurs if loops D and E were also configured on ML5 No. 1, then the command is also transferred to ML5 No. 2 and loops D and E are activated there. It’s strange or it seems that the MC6 MKII can’t tell the two same devices apart (although different channel numbers are assigned)?
Of course, I’m more than welcome to make a backup of a preset and send it to me, because in principle I use these settings globally for almost all presets in the same way as far as these switching functions are concerned. I’m not God either, maybe I’ve made a mistake and keep looking in the same direction.
Greetings, Jens

If you have set the ML5(2) to Omni, it will respond to all incoming MIDI messages on any channel, which explains the behaviour you are facing.

Can you confirmed if you followed these steps to change the MIDI channel to 6?

1. Hold down Button E before powering up. The Learn button should be blinking rapidly after releasing the button, which indicates that it is waiting for a MIDI message to be received or a button to be pressed to set its MIDI channel.
  2. Send a PC or CC message directly to the ML5. The MIDI message should be on channel 6, since you want to set the ML5 to MIDI channel 6. Just take note that a single PC or CC message should be sent. FYI in case you are using a preset programmed with multiple MIDI messages to set the channel.
  3. After the ML5 receives the PC/CC message, the Learn button should blink slower for 4-8 times to indicate that the channel is saved.

Can you possibly share a video of this process if it is not working for you? From your description, the ML5 is receiving MIDI messages properly, so there should be no issues with setting the MIDI channel.

Hello James,
I carried out the procedures for setting up the ML5 exactly according to the manual, setting via Omni (for all channels) works exactly the same way (but I only wanted 6 for a specific channel) and that doesn’t work at all/no reaction!
So, now I thought ok, then I’ll just try the second option. I then set the ML5 to receive channel 4 (of course I moved the ML5 to this channel beforehand in the MC6 MKII). What can I say, it works exactly as requested! ML5 #2 now receives its messages for these loops on channel 4 and ML5 #1 on channel 5 as before
Both ML5’s don’t get in each other’s way anymore and are independent, great! But I still can’t understand what disturbed the communication on the first attempt, a certain CC message on channel 6 or higher channels this ML5 No.2 doesn’t want to accept. Well, only God knows, or the programmer (ha, ha, ha) first of all, I’ll leave it like that for now and have only exchanged the channel numbers in my scheme so that the ML5 No. 2 could get the number 4.
First of all, thanks for the help, maybe there are other things to come.
Greetings Jens

1 Like