Problem with brand new MC6 3.9.0a

I have a brand new MC6 Mk2 3.9.0a connected to my computer using the blue USB cable.

With both the Exe Editor (v1.1.5) as well as with the online editor I cannot change parameters, in fact, I cannot even select banks and presets. If I change banks in the editor, it will be reflected on the controller, but it will not show in the editor. Neither will the editor react at all If I press a button on the MC6. In videos the corresponding bank and preset are selected, here nothing. I did activate the “Load preset data into Editor using Switch Press“ key in the editor. If I select any bank and preset (with no visual result in the editor) and try to save anything to the device the software always asks for a preset selection, which I can’t. If I save the settings to a file, it reads:

{“presetNumber”:-1,“bankNumber”:-1,“isExp”:false,“shortNameLength”:8,“toggleNameLength”:8,“longNameLength”:24,“numMidiMessages”:16,“shortName”:“COn”,“longName”:“Comp”,“toggleName”:“COff”,“toToggle”:true,“toBlink”:true,“toMsgScroll”:true,“midiMsgArray”:[{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:0,“data1”:11,“data2”:127,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:“2”,“action”:“1”,“toggle”:0,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:1,“data1”:11,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:“2”,“action”:“1”,“toggle”:1,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:2,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:3,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:4,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:5,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:6,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:7,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:8,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:9,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:10,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:11,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:12,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:13,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:14,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true},{“hasChanged”:false,“messageNumber”:15,“data1”:0,“data2”:0,“data3”:0,“channel”:1,“type”:0,“action”:0,“toggle”:2,“valid”:true}]}

regardless of which bank and preset I had chosen.

I have tried two different computes, both with W10 64bit, it has worked on neither, the effects are the same.

I have also tried https://www.midimonitor.com/, and occasionally it would recognize the MC6 (currently it does, but still no changes possible), often times it would not.

What should I do? This develops into Midi hell for me right now.

Thanks for help!

You say you’re running firmware 3.9.0. That’s a beta firmware, which means you should be using https://editor-mkii-staging.morningstar.io/ in Chrome (I’ve no idea about the desktop editor, never used it!)

Other things to check - generally, a direct USB connection between MC and laptop/MacBook is best. USB hubs can cause issues.

Worst case: as it’s new, and you’re already on a beta firmware, I’d suggest updating to the latest https://github.com/Morningstar-Engineering/MC6-MKII-Midi-Controller/releases/download/v3.9/2021-09-13_MC6MK2_Firmware_v_3_9_0_Beta.hex and then factory reset the MC.

1 Like