Probably easy question? Mono and Stereo pedals, parallel

Hi, MC6Pro user looking to get an ML10X. I have pedals I would like to run in parallel. Hopefully these are easy questions, probably already asked but I didn’t find, so apologies :slight_smile:

I will be running stereo in. I would like the mono pedal to process both the L and R signal (tip and ring) coming in and then output to both L and R (tip and ring). I figure I will be running that one 100% wet in parallel with stereo pedals so the dry stereo signal will still be passed through on the other pedals.

1. If I have four stereo pedals and one mono pedal I’m only using 9 of the 10 connections, correct? So I’d be using four rings and four tips for the stereo, and then a mono tip and no mono ring? Do I need to have anything physically plugged in for the ring, or can I just use TS in and TS out on that loop?

2. Assuming current firmware with no loop bypassing, would I just run an input ring → mono ring → output ring that has nothing actually physically there? I was thinking that I would need to run input tip → mono tip → output tip AND input ring → mono tip → output ring so that the mono signal would go to both L and R full strength.

Thanks for any thoughts!

1. You do not need to have anything connected to the unused loop. Just leave it out of your routing and it will not affect anything.

2. Not 100% sure if I understood you right, but is this what you want to achieve? I followed what you said as closely as possible (in this eg your mono pedal is in Loop A Tip):

You can play around with the ML10X Editor in demo mode to experiment with the possible routings: Morningstar MIDI Editor

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping the answers would be relatively easy! #1 makes sense the more I think about it. I was a little worried that not being able to bypass a loop in advanced mode meant that every box needed to be connected.

For #2, that is what I was envisioning. I assume that by routing both input tip and ring to Loop A, and then to output tip and ring that (1) I’ll process a summed T and R signal, (2) I’ll have “wet” signal in both T and R, and (3) by summing input T and R I won’t have any signal loss as compared to processing just input T or R.

It would probably be best to actually plug some pedals in and experiment (if I’m able to test drive one). I have done a little messing around with the editor - but I worry a bit that just because a layout is possible, it doesn’t mean it necessarily makes sense.

Hi,
just some thoughts on this.
I believe that summing a stereo signal to mono will ruin the stereo image and on top of that it might might cause phasing issues.
Since I don’t have the means to test this myself, I’d be interested to hear what results you get.

Thanks - I did figure the stereo image would be ruined, but I was planning on running in full wet, parallel with a stereo pedal that would pass the dry stereo signal. So I’d get the dry stereo/wet stereo through one pedal, parallel with a mono wet signal from the other pedal.

I hadn’t considered phasing issues though.