Newbie to MIDI Kemper & Neural Quad

I’m new to midi. I have an mc8 as the Quad is due in the next 14 days. Can I set the Kemper to channel 2, and the Quad to channel 1? and then do I split the banks? or can I use the MC8 with dual commands on each bank?
if Bank 1 is my home bank and A switch loads Bank 11, I want Performance 1 to appear in bank one and the switches set to the modification options 1 through 6 (delay, reverb OD etc).
Do I set these in Bank one? so I’d pc to bank 11, ALSO load performance 1 with the Kemper CC, and also load the foot switches?
Or do I wait the Bank 11 is loaded.
Thanks

Hi. Each switch can be programmed to do anything you want. It is correct to set the Kemper and Quad to different MIDI channels so only the messages intended for each device will affect them.

How you set up your banks is really dependent on how you want to arrange them. We made a video here showing you how to use the bank jump feature: https://youtu.be/05s44pAI-No

I don’t quite understand what you mean by the following.
"if Bank 1 is my home bank and A switch loads Bank 11, I want Performance 1 to appear in bank one and the switches set to the modification options 1 through 6 (delay, reverb OD etc).
Do I set these in Bank one? so I’d pc to bank 11, ALSO load performance 1 with the Kemper CC, and also load the foot switches?
Or do I wait the Bank 11 is loaded."

Thank you so much for the email, I’m a little ‘at the end of my tether’ here, as I can’t get any response from my Kemper Stage. I’ve viewed as many videos as I can, but still seem lost.

While I’m waiting for the Neural quad to be released I thought I’d test out the MC8 on my Kemper Stage.

I’ve now got the MC8 working and the rather good Midi Editor downloaded. (nice job).

I’ve brought a 5 pin/7pin midi cable, a USB B (male) to USB B (Male) cable, and 9v charger.

I’ve set the Kemper Stage (KS) to Midi channel 1.

I can make the MC8 jump banks, go back, go forward etc. In the Midi Monitor I see the action as programed.

So as an example :

· I want bank 1 to be the ROOT PAGE.

· Preset A opens bank 11 (Action PRESS > Type PC JUMP TO 11)

· I want KS Performance 1 to load. (Edit Bank – ON ENTER - Control Change – CC 47 – Value 1)

· I want to load into Preset A REVERB setting (Edit Bank – ON ENTER – CC 50 – Value 1)

· I want to toggle the REVERB in preset A (Edit Preset – PRESS – (CC50 – Value 0) and Edit Preset (CC50 – value 100)

Everything is saved

Then I disconnect the MC8 from the PC

I connect to KS to the MC8, with USB or MIDI – nothing works . The KS doesn’t change Performance, nor toggle the Reverb

All help greatly appreciated.

Hugh

I can offer a little bit of clarity that might help. Some of your CC numbers are incorrect.

CC#47 #value - this will select the profile you want to load (You probably have that correct)

CC#50-54 #127 - this will load the performance 1-5 in the previously selected profile (#47) . #50 loads performance 1, #51 performance 2, etc.
Use #127 for the value on all of them

From there I am confused as to what you are trying to achieve. If you are wanting to toggle effect modules on/off, then those CC# are in the range of CC#17- CC#29 (refer to the midi section in the manual)

Jerry, Many many thanks for your patience. Dealing with numb nuts must drive you up the wall. :slight_smile:

What I’d trying to do as a learning tool is

1. Move from Bank 1 to Bank 11. (this works on the MC8).

2. On entry to Bank 11 I load Performance #1 from the Kemper.

3. On Page 1 of Bank 11 – 5 slots (A, B, C, E & F) are loaded with the Kemper slots 1 through 5 (of the selected performance 1)

4. On Page 2 of Bank 11 – I have E, F, G,H assigned to Kemper Modules A,B,C,D, and MC8 slots A,B,C,D assigned to Kemper X, Mod, Dly, Rev

5. Page 1 of Bank 11 slot D & H are saved for Tuner, Tap, Next Performance, last performance, return to Bank 1

As a simple attempt to get the two working I just tried Bank 1. Slot A to load Performance 1 to the Kemper. So on PRESS A, CC 47, CC# 1. I put the kemper on performance 7. Connected the two with USB, then MIDI , but no changes took place on the Kemper – it just stayed on the 7th Performance.

I hope this eases the confusion.

Hugh

That clears it up a bit.
The first time you load the Performance, you have to specify the slot you want to open with 2 command lines. For example…
MSG1 Press action - CC#47 Value #1 (loads the amp profile)
MSG2 Press action - CC#50 Value #127 (place it in slot#1)

This combo will load the Performance and place it in slot #1. In your example these 2 lines would be in your Load Upon Entry to Bank 11.
After it is initially loaded, then you can just use the CC#50-54 Value #127 to jump between Slots 1-5 for your Presets A, B, C, E & F.

After that here are some of the CC for assigning to the other buttons…
#17 A module on/off
#18 B module on/off
#19 C module on/off
#20 D module on/off
#22 X module on/off
#24 MOD module on/off
#26 DLY module on/off (without spillover)
#27 DLY module on/off (with spillover)
#28 REV module on/off (without spillover)
#29 REV module on/off (with spillover)

I haven’t ever used the Kemper build in effects (I use all external pedals). So, I can’t confirm how those work… try a Value of #127 after the CC first for each effect module preset and see if that works.

Thank you so much, I’ve been pushing buttons until my fingers are sore. But as yet …… no response from the Kemper. I presume if I set the Kemper on Performance 7, and the program the MC8 with the first two lines of your code below, that the Kemper’s screen should jump to Performance 1?

Thanks

Hugh

SUCCESS ………………IT WORKS ……….oh Joy, (does dance … falls over … and hurts knee) Ouch …… why does Music hurt so much?

So, so many thanks.

Hugh

2 Likes

Are you talking about the quad cortex? I can’t even find a complete feature list of what midi commands it is capable of using

Yes. The Quad manual has the Midi CC list (looks short?), but the MC8 editor has already got the Quad Midi set up in their Dictionary.