MIDI Cable Review

We bought some MIDI cables to review! If you’ve got any questions regarding any of the listed cables, do let us know and we’ll do our best to answer.

With my Temple Audio footboard, I mainly use the Rockboard FlaX midi cables. A lot of midi cables won’t fit through the slots to run below the board, but those cables work just fine. I’ve thought about clipping off the plastic too, but haven’t ever commited to it. The hinges don’t get in the way and still have a neat appearance. I like the OneControl cables best on my Strymon pedals on the back row. They are really flat and the thin cables are easy to wrap up in tidy bundles.
One negative point for the OneControl cables though, if you have midi splitter boxes in your setup (such as the Midi Solutions Quadra Thru) then the OneControl cables are not capable of carrying power through them in order to power that box.

Thanks for the insights! I didn’t know the OneControl could not power the Quadra Thru. Do you know the reason?

I thought the Quadra Thru was powered by Pin4 (for benefit of others, MIDI standard is data is carried on Pin5 and power is on Pin4)

It’s beyond my knowledge, but I ran an experiment with my cable tester.
the Rockboard FlaX cable lit up for all 5 pins.
the OneControl only lit up for 4 and 5.

also using the red/black test probes on the One Control it confirmed the 2 that lit up as pin 4 and 5 (the 2 right beside the center pin)

I have absolutely no idea those results might mean.