MC8, Moog Matriarch and SysEx Frustration

I bought my MC8 a few days ago and I’m loving it for controlling my Aeros and Eventide H9. It would be fantastic if I could also use it to change parameters on my Moog Matriarch via SysEx so that I can unlock some of the Matriarch’s hidden functionality and also use it as a midi controller for other gear (the keyboard feels fantastic).

I’ve been using Sysex tool in the Morningstar MIDI Editor to create SysEx messages and using SysEx Librarian on my mac to monitor the output of the pedal. However the SysEx messages that the MC8 is outputting don’t seem to match up with what put into the Morningstar Midi Editor tool (or the messages that the tool creates). It seems like no matter what I put as Length/P1, it always gives me an 18 bit string with values that don’t match up with what I’m expecting to see.

For example here is a successful SySex message sent to my Matriarch using a Chrome browser-based Matriarch editor, as captured by SysEx Librarian: 00 F0 04 17 23 0B 00 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 F7 | # |

However when I paste “F0 04 17 23 0B 00 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 F7” into the MIDI Editor, the MC8 outputs something that looks like this: 00 F0 00 21 24 04 03 08 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 12 | !$ | 10 69 F7 |i |

Here are the messages as seen in the MIDI Editor:

I’ve also tried not including the F0 and F7 at the beginning and end of the string. I’m relatively new to SysEx and I’m assuming this is user error. Thanks for any help.

Also, I’m using Editor v1.2.2 and Firmware 3.9.2

The SysEx message you are seeing is generated by the MC8 to communicate with the editor. The programmed message in your preset is also sent out.

Here’s my preset after pasting the SysEx string you shared into the SysEx creation template.

Just FYI, those MorningstarFX SysEx messages are only sent when the device is in Editor mode. If you exit editor mode, you should see only the SysEx created by the preset:

Thanks! That’s good to know. I’ll take it out of editor mode and give it a shot.