MC8 minimum press/release time / scan rate?

I just have a question about the minimum time possible between press and release, or maybe it’s a question of the scan rate of the foot switches or something, not sure.
I have a bit of a particular use function in mind (don’t we all?!). Here’s what I am trying to do:

I would like to trigger a very short record time on a Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro. I can do this with the included EDP foot controller and can come up with very short glitchy recording times that are also semi random because it’s very difficult to reproduce the same foot tap twice in a row. I can get down to 1ms but also trigger a range of low values (eg 1-20ms). If I set up the same thing up with the MC8 (press>Note on, release>note off) I can only get times of 1ms, 6ms, 11ms etc with no intermediate values. I have experimented with looper mode with the same results. Are there any other settings I can try that could influence this or is there some rounding off happening? Perhaps there is a maximum scan rate of the foot switches … I don’t think it’s an issue with the MIDI response of the EDP because I’ve seen videos of people using an FCB1010 to achieve a range of these low recording times.

Hope you can help or illuminate me.

Minimum in 20ms from my test (PC is press, CC is release):

Looper mode did increase the duration by a few milliseconds for release, so that won’t help.

It’s a very edge use case though. I can shorten it in code for you via a custom firmware? But I don’t think we will change this in the main firmware until more tests are done.

Do you need to vary the timing manually or can you bake the timing into a single button press that triggers a midi message, delay and a final midi message?

Not sure the granularity of the delay action or any limits to midi out.

Thanks James, I’ll do some more experimentation myself and get back to you. I didn’t think to look at the MIDI monitor. Are you triggering manually because they are all exactly 20ms? It’s also confusing because I can get down to 1ms but only in 5ms increments.

I’m hoping to use natural variation to produce slightly different timings. Just a straight up tap of the switch to trigger note on and note off.

Just to clarify, based on your original post; I’m assuming you want to get shortest possible duration from messages sent between a press and release action. Is that correct?

When I tested yesterday, I just triggered a press and release action as fast as I can to get the shortest possible duration, which was 20ms based on the MIDI monitor. Then I checked the code, and there was some hard coded delays which I calculated to be about 15-20ms added inbetween some actions, just to help with some stuff.

Actually, if you want the shortest possible delay, why not just set both messages to trigger on a Press action?

Just revisiting this after a bit more testing. I can only get very specific times out of the MC8 of 0.01, 0.06, 0.11, 0.16, 0.21 etc. I don’t think this is a problem with the EDP because I can get intermediate times if I control it from a MIDI keyboard for example.

Could it have something to do with the MC8 outputting sysex as well. I can see them in a MIDI Monitor app on the mac.

I also can’t get the MC8 to send cc values above 50 to the EDP. Again, the EDP responds fine to other MIDI controllers.

Could there be something wrong with my unit, should I reload firmware? I’m tearing my hair out here.

If the MC8 is outputting SysEx then it is in editor mode and sending information to the editor, which will cause some delays. Try exiting editor mode?

What values are these? 0.01 seconds?

Good call on the editor mode / sysex thing, although it hasn’t affected those response numbers. They are in seconds yes, strange thing is the specific values.

The plot thickens - if I route another controller through the MC8 (Midi thru) and have it forward on the commands (either Note number or CC values), those commands function normally. ie I get a range of times (not limited to specific values). It seems the cc commands are forwarded on too.

My brain hurts :slight_smile:

I’m not 100% clear what you are trying to achieve. Are you looking to send 2 CC messages together with the shortest possible delay?

I would like to trigger short record times on a Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro. I can do this with the included EDP foot controller and can come up with very short glitchy recording times that are also semi random because it’s very difficult to reproduce the same foot tap twice in a row. I’m hoping to use natural variation to produce slightly different timings. On the MC8, I can only get times of 1ms, 6ms, 11ms etc with no intermediate values.

Here’s the sort of thing I’m trying to achieve. Possible with the original pedal, a MIDI keyboard, and the FCB1010 obviously.