MC8 - Looper mode - Strymon Timeline

Yesterday I received my MC8, really really happy with it.

But the looper mode, I really dont know how to start with it.
I watched the YouTube video over and over and they are not letting know how to set it up.

So my question is, does someone have a tutorial about how to do this?
I allready assigent “Looper Mode” to 1 button and thats it.

What to do from there? I want to loop on my Strymon Timeline.

Thanks in advance!!

Looper mode is just a very low-latency setting for the foot switches that is ideal for loopers (because your loop will always be a little late starting if the MC3/6/8 is waiting to see if you’re going to do a double tap or a long-tap or what have you.

So you put the thing in “looper mode” so that button presses you trigger will be instantaneous and then you program those buttons to do things with your looper using MIDI.

Does that make sense? it’s a little confusing to describe

Looper mode just puts your device into a “Looper mode” which is a low-latency setting (switch sensitivity is set to the highest setting) which helps when you need to control functions like Looper functions, for example, which are timing sensitive. You’ll still need to program the other Presets to engage the looper functions in the device you want to control, by sending CC messages for example.

Does Looper mode only affect the press events?

Not sure I fully understand why this is needed … if a long press or double tap also generate press and release events. Does Morningstar try to do something smart and skip the press event if it (waits and) detects a long press? Does enabling looper mode cause all these events to be generated or prevent some of these events?

Perhaps simpler solution than looper mode would be to have an extra “button down” event that always gets emitted. It would be up to the user to make sure they didn’t also map to one of the other events (or that they didn’t care when multiple events are generated). Modes always seem to have a drawback.

Similar question for the looper mode disabling dual switch presses like Bank Up. Seems like the debounce period for a single button would be enough to debounce and detect a dual press (or perhaps an extra few uSeconds which would not be noticable). Maybe not? :wink:

Not really sure if I understand the problem, but looper mode is really handy!
You’ll notice when you set up looper mode and record and compare it to a “normal” (no looper mode) way of recording a loop. The latency kills every loop!

I have a separate bank for the Timeline looper. I programmed the bank to engane “Looper Mode” on enter. This is how the bank looks:
IMG_6491

When exit I disengage Looper Mode.
Obviously, the single switches need to be assigned to certain actions, like
Switch A => CC98: 127 (Looper Level to Max) and CC87: 127 (Record)
or
Switch G (Fade Out) => CC Waveform Generator; Engine 1 (Sawtooth Down with 0 & 127) and CC98

The “Looper Mode” is just increasing the switch sensitivity and decreasing latency that will otherwise be noticed in the loop!

Hi James, can you please clarify, does turning on Looper Mode increase sensitivity for all 8 switches (MC8), and not just the single button that triggers the mode?

If so, would it be possible to change it to set it button by button? That way we could retain the dual press functions if we configure around them.

1 Like

Currently it increases the sensitivity for all switches.

We can look into the feasibility of implementing it on a per-switch basis in the next update. Have added it to my backlog to explore

Thanks. If that was implemented would it also be possible for:

E-F, F-G, G-H to replicate the dual switch presses of
A-B, B-C, D-D

If that was the case the front row could be assigned critical looping functions while dual switch functionality could still be retained.

I just ordered a MC6 today primarily to control a timeline. I use the looper function alot and want to be able to switch quickly from looper mode to bank/presets (especially if I expand to the ml5 for other pedals). What is the quickest way to go in/out of looper mode? If I am reading correctly, it requires a 2 button press (bank up/down), is that correct?

If you have a bank specifically for looper controls, I think the best way would be to program a bank preset to engage Looper mode upon entering the bank. Then dis-engaging Looper Mode upon exiting the bank.

In the next firmware update, you can set specific switches to have the highest sensitivity, so you can potentially just leave Looper mode engaged and then just have one or two switches (for Record or Play) engaged with Looper mode, so you can still bank up and down using 2 switches.

2 Likes

Excellent - thank you James. That makes sense. Is there a way to have 1 button bank up/down? I generally am a terrible double switch hitter.