MC8 Larger Preset Name

A request on behalf of my half-blind guitarist… we’re wondering if there’s any way you could set up the MC8 use the two middle lines of the screen together to show the name of the active preset in a font twice as large as the current one. After he’s in the bank he really doesn’t need to see the bank name anymore… or even the Expression %. He would just love to be able to see the name of the active preset as large & clearly as possible.

No idea how major a change this would be to implement… but having to squint less on stage would be pretty huge. Thanks for your consideration and for making such a great product!

Slightly different from what you are asking, but could you fit a slim magnifying lens directly above the MC8?

Interesting idea! Not opposed to that… would just have to find one that could sit right on top of the screen. Unsure how I could elevate it without getting in the way of the switches.

May be a small Chrome app allowing with a large policy to display Preset names when activated, using a midi command to find it back from text banks ?
Could be loaded with MCx backup.
It could run on a tablet.
@james ?

Unfortunately there isn’t a way to do this due to hardware/software limitations.

There actually is one, but the usage isn’t great so we stopped maintaining it: https://live-view.morningstar.io/
This will only work with firmware v3.7. We removed it from the firmware since v3.8 and no one has asked anything about it :upside_down_face:

If you want to give it a go, I can send you an updated firmware to test.

1 Like

You’d probably need to use something like this.

MagniPros 3X Large Ultra Bright LED Page Magnifier with 12 Anti-Glare Dimmable LEDs (Provide More Evenly Lit Viewing Area & Relieve Eye Strain)-Ideal for Reading Small Prints & Low Vision & Aging Eyes https://amzn.eu/d/6GWLUHN

Probably mounted on a gooseneck above the screen, allowing space to get a foot underneath to hit the switches?
S
www.redtapemusic.net

1 Like

Thanks James! We’re discussing our options now, I will let you know if we’re curious to get a tablet and try that updated firmware out.

Wondering if there’s a larger (pin compatible) display that you could hack into the device. Not for the timid.

Yeah I MIGHT be too timid for that… haha!

There seems to be a big gap in the market for a Midi Display.
ideally, it should act as a stand alone and function accordingly.
User could decide what to display and when.
for me, a half 1ru to display the preset Name and # in nice old school red LCD would be gold.
then the choice of last command… maybe for X secs.
want more info… get another display.

1 Like

@james Good idea ^^^^^^

Taking this to the extreme, a single pedal could provide the ui (display and switches) for all your other pedals. Nice cost savings and quicker development for pedal makers. Never going to happen at any significant level…