MC3 and Boss MD-500 Patch Bypass / Bank Selection CC messages

Hello,

I have been working with my MC3 and MD-500 figuring out how to turn patches on and off and how to select patches / banks.

The following assumes the firmware in the MD-500 is Ver. 1.03.

To say that the midi implementation information from Boss on the MD-500 is less than worthless is right on. The information they provide is in Sysex, which I don’t know how to use.

I gleaned this information from a couple different places. I wanted to replicate it here in one place specifically for the Morningstar controllers.

The following thread over at TheGearpage talks about the 500 series in general, note that CC messages are different for the DD-500.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-500-series-midi-help.1851837/

The CC message that you send to control the patches on the MD-500 are different depending on which mode you have the MD-500 in.

To see the mode you are in:

From the main display:

Push the “Edit” key
Use the down arrow key, scroll down to “System”
Push the “Edit” key
Scroll down “FSW Mode”
It will indicate “Normal” , “A/B/C” , “A/B Simul”, “SW Dn/Up”

The following example is for Normal mode, it takes two CC messages to bypass or turn on the selected preset.

To enable the MD-500 in Normal mode send the following two CC commands:

CC Number = 27 CC Value = 0
CC Number = 27 CC Value = 127

To bypass the MD-500 in Normal mode send the following two CC commands:

CC Number = 27 CC Value = 127
CC Number = 27 CC Value = 0

Note that these are the same commands, just reversed in order from one another.

This only works on a single preset in Normal mode. I don’t know why it requires two CC messages to switch one preset but it does.

Another mode is “A/B Simul”. This allows the MD-500 to use two presets together.

The CC messages work as you would expect in this mode. CC message #27 seems to be ignored as far as I can tell in “A/B Simul” mode.

To bypass Preset A

CC Number = 28 CC Value = 0

To enable Preset A

CC Number = 28 CC Value = 127

To bypass Preset B

CC Number = 29 CC Value = 0

To enable Preset B

CC Number = 29 CC Value = 127

I was also trying to figure out how to select patches.

There was another thread here that explained how Banks work via midi on the DD-500, thankfully the same CC messages work on the MD-500 as well.

You can find that info here:

https://forum.morningstar.io/t/mc6-dd-500-how-to-select-presets-in-other-banks/1138

I appreciate the info in that thread and I hope that the information consolidated here helps someone else.

Regards,

b99