MC-6/MC-8 and scene names

Hi all, newbie user here (both to Morningstar and MIDI in general!). I’m wondering if it’s possible for the MC-6 or MC-8 to read the scene names directly from an FM3. For example, for Preset 1, I have a list of four scenes that might be Clean, Clean Delay, Edge of Breakup, Crunch. And for Preset 2, I have six scenes that are Clean, Phaser, Wah, Crunch, Lead, Lead+. If I change the preset on the FM3, can I get the MC-6/MC-8 to show those different scene names? If yes, how?

Not possible at the moment. It’s in the backlog though - we’ve got many things in the backlog with different priorities

Thanks James - the RJM has the learn function that can mirror the scene names within each preset, so I know it’s technically possible but appreciate it’s under development.

Just to confirm though - if I want to use the MC-8 as a scene selector, and the FM3 to change presets, do I need two-way MIDI in order for the scenes to be changed when I change the preset on the FM3?

Can this be somewhat generic … so that users can add their own integrations with devices without custom code from Morningstar?

I think this is the ability to set text or numeric variables extracted from sysex or other midi messages via some mask. Then let us use those variables in various ways.

I don’t know the FM3 but if all you want to do is use MC6 to send PC and/or CC to the FM3 then you’ll need a DIN cable from MC6 MIDI out to FM MIDI in.

In terms of getting switches on the MC6 to show the text from the FM3… honestly, once you’ve got a workflow going it’s very quick to set up a Preset in the web editor, copy and paste it to a new preset, change PC/CC values and type new name.

And don’t forget: if the FM3 documentation lists the PC and/or CC values for changing presets and scenes then the MC6 will be able to control all of them if you program it up to do so

What I have learned about the AxeFX Integration mode in the MC6

• Set your MC6 and Fractal Devices to different MIDI channels.
  • On the MC6 editor, let’s say you assign Bank 1 Preset (button) A to AxeFX Integration / FM3 / Preset Select , and in the Preset Start From dropdown, you pick zero.
  • Now, if you press MC6 button A, the MC6 will display the first FIVE presets starting with Preset Zero (because that’s where you told it to start). The sixth MC6 button is labeled ( Exit ), and it takes you back to the previous view on the MC6. You can’t over-write any of the button functions in AxeFX Integration mode.
  • There isn’t an option for “go to next five presets” on the MC6. Your only options are to pick a preset, or go back to the previous menu.

It’s similar for the Scene Select

• On the MC6 editor, assign Bank 1 Preset (button) A to AxeFX Integration / FM3 / Scene Select .
  • Now, if you press MC6 button A, the MC6 will display the first FIVE scenes in the AxeFX (or FM3) preset. The sixth MC6 button is labeled ( Exit ), and it takes you back to the previous view on the MC6. You can’t over-write any of the button functions in AxeFX Integration mode.
  • There isn’t an option for “go to next scenes” on the MC6. Your only options are to pick a scene, or go back to the previous menu.

The really weird thing

• On the MC6 editor, let’s say you assign Bank 1 Preset (button) A to AxeFX Integration / FM3 / Preset + Scene Select , and in the Preset Start From dropdown, you pick zero.
  • Now, if you press MC6 button A, the MC6 will display the first SIX presets starting with Preset Zero (because that’s where you told it to start).This is a one-way door. There is no way out of this screen other than selecting a preset. You can’t over-write any of the button functions in AxeFX Integration mode, so you can’t program an EXIT button.
  • OK, now you’ve done it. You’re stuck making a preset selection. Once you pick one, you’ll see the first FIVE scenes in that AxeFX (or FM3) preset. There isn’t an option for “go to next five presets” on the MC6. Your only options are to pick a scene (which keeps you in scene select view), or press the sixth MC6 button labeled ( Exit ), which will take you back to the starting point from before you pressed the button to select a preset (first bullet in this section).
  • If you happened to erroneously pick a range of presets from Preset + Scene, and need to get back to make another selection, you need to (1) pick a preset anyway (2) hit the EXIT button.

The MC6 is actually a pretty neat MIDI pedal, and has a lot of power. I realized pretty quickly that the current AxeFX Integration mode is inflexible and really not very useful for me. My solution was to just program my preset and scene names in the MC6 editor, and it works great.

Another thing you should know about the AxeFX Integration mode: AxeFX commands / interactions require a slightly longer button press for some reason. If you just tap a button, it will fire any messages that regular MIDI or MC6 commands. But any actions that require interaction with Fractal gear require a slightly longer press (no, not a LONG PRESS) or they won’t fire. As I said above, the AxeFX Integration modes are still fairly limited, but the device does a great job of sending regular MIDI.

BIG SHOUT OUT to James Toh at Morningstar for his great tech support help. He helped me get set up and running. The MC6 packs a lot of great power in a small footprint. It’s ideal for my small board.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the info and for the feedback.

It’s our first take at the Fractal Integration mode, we’ll continue to iterate through this feature to make it even better.

Just about to release v3.9.5 with some bug sixes - I’ll look into the button press feedback and see if I can squeeze it in, if not it’ll be in the next update.

1 Like

I just tested it with our MC6 and AxeFX3. I don’t think its related to the switch on the MC6. I can do a super quick tap while in the integration mode, the command still gets sent out. Is the delay you are referring to the delay when the AxeFX actually changes presets or scenes?

Using a PC scroll to test, I noticed that the AxeFX takes a while to respond to the incoming message. There’s some lag before the AxeFX actually changes preset. There’s no need to hold down the button on the MC6 longer though. If it is programmed with a Press action, the message will trigger as soon as a press action is executed. You can verify that in the MIDI monitor.

Here is how I have it set up:
ON PRESS, Button A sends a PC change to select a given preset, and ON RELEASE it Send the AxeFX Integration “Scene Select” command.
A quick tap on the button causes the FM3 to switch to the selected Preset, but doesn’t switch the MC6 into Scene Select mode.
The MIDI monitor shows that both commands were sent, but it’s not working as expected; the MC6 displays “AxeFX Not Found” briefly, then goes back to the previous view.

If I tap the same button for slightly longer, everything works as expected. It’s a difference. between a fairly normal quick tap, and a slightly longer (perhaps half a second) tap.

If the button is programmed for ONLY the ON PRESS event to perform any of the AxeFX Integration commands, it works no matter how briefly I click the button.

So, why do I prefer the ON PRESS and ON RELEASE version of the programming that I outlined? Because it gives me the functionality I want for my system. I can select my presets on buttons A-E, and program button F to go to the next band of FM3 presets (not possible in the “Preset Select” or “Preset + Scene Select” modes.

The simplest fix would be modify the Preset and Preset + Scene Select modes to allow any of the buttons to be over-ridden. That would let me set my system up as desired, while benefitting from the integration you’ve done to display the preset and scene names.

I don’t have the FM3 but it sounds like you may need a delay in between those messages. FM3 might not be able to handle both messages that quick

@cVarsity : great suggestion. I did add a 100 ms delay in the command order, and it worked sometimes. I still haven’t discovered a reliable approach, but I’m sure we’ll sort it out. Love the MC6, and enjoying the flexibility.