I already used my MC6 and it worked well. Tried to add the pedal KERNOM RIDGE, but for some reason could not send a midi message (PC) to the pedal. I thought the cable was bad (5 pin to 3 pin) and changed to new cable, but still no success. The channel is set correctly. Any idea what can go wrong?
Not familiar with that pedal per say, but there is no standard for 5 pin midi to 3.5mm with cables. Best bet would be if you try going out of the Omniports on the MC6 and try the different midi types in the Morningstar settings (Tip Active, Ring Active, or standard) Then at least you’ll know what kind of cable you need to make/buy if the omniports are already spoken for.
I am having the same problem with the Kernom Ridge. Were you able to make any progress?
Yes I was. Most likely the problem is with the midi cable. you need to make sure you are using a type A MIDI cable. There are type A and type B cables. If you use a type B it will not work.
I’m using these Boss cables, and they say they’re type A. Must be user error. I’ll keep trying!
Thanks for the reply!
Is the MC6 connected directly to the device? If there other MIDI devices inbetween, can you confirm if MIDI thru is on?
The difference between Type A and B is that pins 3 and 5 are exchanged. You are probably using audio cables. I actualy cut and solder the wires as described.
The Kernom is the first pedal connected to the MC6. The last time to tried, I successfully changed the LCD name for button A. That’s progress for me… a complete beginner at MIDI.
I appreciate all the help, but I’m starting to believe the problem is with me. I’m going to try setting up the MC6 with the DL4 MKII I have second in the chain. If I can get that to work it would at least show the Kernom is passing the correct signals thru.
Just to wrap this up… in case it helps someone else.
Everything works great now! It was indeed a user error. In short, I was sending CCs instead of PCs. I would have known this if I had read the entire manual instead of just skipping to the CC chart.
For any future users:
- Power up the Kernom but ensure both the On/Off and Preset LEDs are off
- Dial the Kernom’s knobs to whatever you want the preset to be
- Connect the USB cable. Launch the Morningstar editor and select the Bank and Preset you want to assign to the Ridge’s current settings
- Select Msg 1 (or whatever you want), assign an action, and choose PC for “type.”
- Enter a PC number (I started at 2 because I think I read the Ridge uses 1 for the preset switch on the pedal). Make sure the channel is correct. The Ridge’s default is channel 1.
- Save the preset and click on disconnect.
- Ensuring both LEDs on the Ridge are off, press and hold the On/Off button until it starts slowly flashing.
- Press the switch on the MC6 you configured in the editor. The Ridge’s On/Off button with flash rapidly signaling its current settings have been saved to that preset.
Hope this helps someone else.
Hey thank you for posting this !!! Just what I was looking for. Any other lessons learned along the way since?
It was a cable issue - I ordered the correct cable and it’s working like a dream.