Indexed strings and replacement character sequence

I’d like to display custom text based upon the value of a counter.

This would allow me to display the name of a selected device (e.g., exp1 is controlling volume, wah, delay time or …) or action (e.g., record, overdub, play) based upon counter.

For most flexibility, allow both string and index value to be specified when creating the strings (e.g., { 10:“Mute”, 20:“Unmute”, 35:“Mute EOL” }). Could also work with just a list with an implied order (Mute, Unmute, Mute EOL) but this is less flexible

Then in a label or bank display, there would be some way to expand to a string. Something like %S12 would expand from String list based upon counter 2’s value.

Possibly these operate as a counter (and don’t need an extra counter to be specified.

I know the memory limitations might pose a challenge here. Might require some out of the box thinking.

I don’t know the feasibility of this yet.

Let me try to rephrase this request just to make sure I understood correctly. Or rather this idea in my own words.

There should be a list of strings, let’s say 8x8 text boxes, and each text box allows you to write a text for that specific value. 8 different lists with 8 text boxes in each list.

And then in your preset name, you can use a certain placeholder, let’s say simply %1 to display the values in List 1. List 1 is a list of 8 strings, so depending on the value of a counter (between values 1-8, for example) for list 1, %1 will display the string in List 1 where if the counter value is 4, it will display the 4th string in List 1. So you can control what is displayed in the preset name by manipulating the counter value.

Did I get that right?

Yes, that’s right. I’m guessing there needs to be some way to indicate which counter is used.

The extended version of this would allow choosing the counter value each string would match against (instead of just using the order in the list to be 0,1,2…).

The idea is that the strings are used across a set of sparse CC commands or values. (This would avoid the need for a second counter just to generate a matching sequence starting at 0.).

To be really useful when the CC values are not a constant offset from each other (e.g., 0, 10, 20, 30 or 0,1,2,3,4,) , it might be useful to have sparse counters (e.g., an arbitrary of sequence of numbers from 0 to 127: 0, 10, 21, 32, 55, 79). The idea here is that the counter chooses one from a set of possible values.