How to use MC3 to access Manual Mode GT1000 CORE

Got the MC3 today. Works great guys! Thank you - I really need your help. I use preset and manual mode in conjunction on my GT1000 CORE. I use 4 main patches. While on a particular patch, I want to go into the “Manual Mode” and switch out, so if I need to I can go to the next preset. if I want to go into the manual mode, I need to kick down (Up Arrow + CTL1) to do that. Sometimes , I have to turn my foot at different angles, and if my foot isn’t perfectly level, I could be pressing only the UP ARROW and changing the preset patch instead of going in or out of the manual mode. Its no fun switching into an unexpected patch in the middle of a song. I have no idea how to do it with the GT1000 and the MC3, but can I use, lets say Switch A on the MC3 to go into the manual mode while im in a preset patch? Midi is rather confusing for me, and your video helped quite well, for assigning an effect, but to do the same for Manual mode, im lost. Would you be able to assist me in this? I was able to set the control function to CTL2 - Manual, but from there im totally lost on how to make the MC3 switch in and out of the manual mode. Please help? Thanks in advance Tecboy

Ok, I don’t own a gt 1000 yet, but I downloaded the Tone Central Editor to have a look at how to integrate the gt in my midi setup. Here is what I’d suggest:

Open the editor
Click on ‘Menu’ (top bar)
Click on ‘MIDI Setting’ (side bar)
Click on ‘Page2’ (top bar)
Click on ‘CTL2’ and choose a CC# (doesn’t matter what number, but you’ll have to choose one that’s not used for something else). for example “x”

This CC# now emulates the CTL2 switch
Whatever you assign to CTL2 in the CTL/EXP menu of the GT can be activated by sending a CC# you have chosen.
CC# x ; CC value 0 turns stuff off
CC# x ; CC value 127 turns stuff on

However, the Midi implementation of boss products sucks in general.
You might run into trouble for several reasons.
I’d suggest to set the mode of the CTL2 switch in the CTL/EXP menu of the GT to ‘MOMENTARY’. If you want to control something by CC# this is usually the way to do it. In general - not always - just try XD
Also you might have to send an ‘OFF’ (CC# x ; CC value 0) command first, to get the GT to react. But since I don’t own a GT yet I can’t confirm that. That’s just based on my experiences with the Boss 500 series pedals.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Thanks man. I appreciate your reply. I will certainly digest this and test it as well. Thanks again.

Quick update:
Got a GT Core recently and tried to set it up as described above. But it doesn’t work.
I did some research and found this:

"Receiving MIDI commands

When it comes to receiving MIDI commands, the GT-1000 essentially allows you to virtually mirror any or all of the functions that you would assign to a footswitch on the unit, using an external MIDI controller. These functions are not mapped to specific CC numbers, so you will have to set them manually.

Press MENU → MIDI → MIDI SETTING to access the MIDI CC# map.

Here you will be able to set the CC# for whichever footswitches you want to remotely activate."

That’s for the GT1000, but since the GT 1000 Core is basically the same thing it should work for it, too.
Any suggestions what I did wrong?

I found this. I use the MC3 and its working for me. I believe the cc# has to be one greater than the Core, if I remember right. This video will show you. Hope it helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAxQemsuLCs

Thanks for the reply, but the video doesn’t adress my specific problem. Since I want to control the GT’s onboard looper. There is no way to do this by CC messages via the “assign menu”, because the only target parameter in the looper category is looper level. Since I want to control rec/play/dub, stop, and clear by MIDI, I figured, maybe I could work around this by assigning this functions to CTL1-3 in the “control function” menu and map these switches to CC Numbers in “MIDI Settings”.
In my last post I’ve cited an official Boss statement:
“When it comes to receiving MIDI commands, the GT-1000 essentially allows you to virtually mirror any or all of the functions that you would assign to a footswitch on the unit, using an external MIDI controller. […] you will be able to set the CC# for whichever footswitches you want to remotely activate.”

As I understand this (not a native speaker), it should be possibel to emulate or ‘mirror’ an actual physical switch by MIDI (‘pressing’ a switch by MIDI not by foot). I know for sure that this is possible with the Boss 500 series FX, because I managed to programm “Tap Tempo” on the RV500 and DD500 using this method. I’ve had no luck with the GT though.

Since you originally posted that you want to switch to ‘manual mode’ (which can’t be done by the “assign menu” either) I hoped that you found a way to do this.

Sorry this is a long post, and I don’t want to consume too much of your time. I think I’ll start a new topic in this forum, and I’ll try to contact Boss directly, if I can figure out how to. Not every company has this great of a customer support like Morningstar :frowning: