How to change presets on the HX Stomp without using the deprecated PC Scroll type messages?

Hi everybody!

I’m currently changing the presets on my HX Stomp using the old PC Scroll type messages, which are now being deprecated and may not be available on the next firmware releases. So I was wondering how can I keep doing that without using a deprecated method.

What I’m currently doing is this:

A) On my HX Stomp:

1. Set the preset number scheme to 000-125 instead of A-B-C banks.

B) On my MC8:

1. Choose one footswitch to use it as both Preset UP and Preset Scroll UP. This way I can go up through your presets one at a time with a single footswitch tap, or scroll through them continuously by holding down the same footswitch.

Message 1

Action: Release
Type: PC Scroll Up (Deprecated)
Slot: 0
Lower Limit: 0
Upper Limit: 125
Increment: Yes

Message 2

Action: Long Press Scroll
Type: PC Scroll Up (Deprecated)
Increment: Yes

1. Choose one footswitch to use it as both Preset Down and Preset Scroll Down. This way I can go up through your presets one at a time with a single footswitch tap, or scroll through them continuously by holding down the same footswitch.

Message 1

Action: Release
Type: PC Scroll Down (Deprecated)
Decrement: Yes

Message 2

Action: Long Press Scroll
Type: PC Scroll Down (Deprecated)
Decrement: Yes

So, how should I reprogram my MC8 to do those things with the next firmwares, without depending on a deprecated method? Can anybody help me, please?

Hi. There is a new PC Number Scroll method available in firmware 3.8. You can read about it here: Morningstar Engineering

If you do not wish to use that method, you may also explore using the FS4/FS5 method shown here in this video: https://youtu.be/7IF8gIMN4jA?t=285

Thanks! After some reading I was able to use the new PC Number Scroll method!

I didn’t want to use the FS4-FS5 method because I’m already using FS4-FS5 to toggle some effects in my HX Stomp chain.

I’ve configured my MC8 so I can have:

A: Preset Down
B: Snapshot 1
C: Snapshot 2
D: Snapshot 3
E: Preset Up
F: Tap Tempo
G: FS4 / Toggle page
H: FS5 / Tuner

And on my HX Stomp I have FS1, FS2 and FS3.

That way I can use the Stomp Mode with all footswiches available, plus all snapshots, plus preset up/down, plus tap tempo and tuner, everything at the same time.

What messages did you program on your MC8 for Preset Down and Preset Up?

I tried the following

Action: Press
Type: PC Number Scroll
Scroll Type: Increase by 1 and send
PC Number: 0

But the MIDI Monitor showed that the PC number always stayed at 0 (never incrementing). There must be something obvious I’m missing?

I’m on firmware 3.8, and it does work with the deprecated PC Scroll Up and PC Scroll Down, but not with the PC Number Scroll.

It turns out I just needed to make a config change in the Controller Settings on the particular counter to not start on 0 (for my meris pedal)

For my HX Stomp and MC8, I wanted to synch the pedals so that a bank change on one changes bank on the other, AND I wanted to do this without using valuable FS4/FS5 for bank control and without using additional MC8 switches. (Yes, it is a little labor intensive, but works well). I did it by using the BANK PRESET on the MC8. I also changed HX Stomp bank readout to show 000-125, and to avoid confusion, renamed banks 01 thru 30 on the MC8 to be 000 thru 029. Then, I set the Bank preset to send the PC # for the corresponding HX Stomp preset, so that MC8 Bank 01 calls up Preset 000, and Bank 30 calls up Preset 029.
With this set up, I can change banks on the MC8 using the MC8 bank-up bank-down dual-switch presses.
I also copied the Tempo/Tuner setup,and a looper stop command on every page of every bank in the MC8 so that I can always stop a loop, enter tap tempo, or tune in any bank. This frees up all three switches on the HX Stomp and the FS4 and FS5 functions so that they can be properly used as STOMP switches.
When playing, I am always in Stomp mode. I also have a stomp mode button on every MC8 bank so that if my switch is in another mode I can get back to stomp with one press.
I first did try using FS4 and FS5 as bank up / down, but noticed that this does not guarantee the Stomp and MC8 would stay synced. Sometimes they would end up in different banks. Using my method, they will ALWAYS stay synced, with Stomp preset always pulling up specific MC8 bank and MC8 bank always pulling up specific Stomp preset.
I am not using setlists. I am mainly using HXS and MC8 as a musical paint brush, to pull up a new sound color at the press of a button.