Horrible instrutions

Sadly, Yes this happens on the RC-600. I did a YouTube video on it.

Hi Angus
You’re doing a good job showing the problem. Unfortunatelly Boss don’t seems to be sensible to the users complains, as long as they continue to sell the gear.

Indeed, it is bizarre that everything has to work in completed doubles, triples, etc. of the shortest loop and I am not sure why no simple setting to do otherwise (i.e. Start Loop: Beginning/Sync), basically the flipside of the Loop End setting.

1 Like

I’m new to midi as well, and I’m really struggling. I’m a highly educated professional engineer that uses extremely complex software to design civil infrastructure, and I’ve still had a very difficult time finding useful instructions in the Morningstar literature.

There is nothing there to explain exactly how to use the toggle positions especially when you are not in toggle mode. Do the toggle positions function at all when toggle mode is not activated? This is not clear.

I am using the Boss RC-500 which just says map the CCs to the available functions in the RC-500. It does not say at all how the midi messages need to be sent from a midi controller such as the MC8. Do you need to send a single message for a press, or do you need to send two messages with a press and then a release? Do the press and release messages need to be simultaneous? Again, do the positions in the MC8 Editor matter if toggle mode is not in use? If the RC-500 is using a “toggle” setting for the function, do you need to use the toggle mode in the MC8? Also, with the midi out, which is the correct setting for that? There are like 5 different configurations for midi out. Which one is the correct one for the Boss RC-500?

This is all just to say that it seems like there is a lot of critical information that must be known in order to make midi work, and the product manufacturers don’t make that information available, or for some reason they assume end users will just know that information somehow.

I’m sticking with this, because the prospect of this extra functionality is really worthwhile, but man the instruction on what to do and how to program everything are not helpful at all to someone who is new to programming.

Right now, I can’t get a single command to be sent successfully to the RC-500. I’ve been able to successfully program a toggle command to a block in my Helix, but the RC-500 is completely non-functional at this point. This is really disappointing and demoralizing.

Given that midi was developed decades ago, I would have thought it would be much more standardized by now. Crazy.

I’m new to midi as well, and I’m really struggling. I’m a highly educated professional engineer that uses extremely complex software to design civil infrastructure, and I’ve still had a very difficult time finding useful instructions in the Morningstar literature.

There is nothing there to explain exactly how to use the toggle positions especially when you are not in toggle mode. Do the toggle positions function at all when toggle mode is not activated? This is not clear.

I am using the Boss RC-500 which just says map the CCs to the available functions in the RC-500. It does not say at all how the midi messages need to be sent from a midi controller such as the MC8. Do you need to send a single message for a press, or do you need to send two messages with a press and then a release? Do the press and release messages need to be simultaneous? Again, do the positions in the MC8 Editor matter if toggle mode is not in use? If the RC-500 is using a “toggle” setting for the function, do you need to use the toggle mode in the MC8? Also, with the midi out, which is the correct setting for that? There are like 5 different configurations for midi out. Which one is the correct one for the Boss RC-500?

This is all just to say that it seems like there is a lot of critical information that must be known in order to make midi work, and the product manufacturers don’t make that information available, or for some reason, they assume end users will just know that information somehow.

I’m sticking with this because the prospect of this extra functionality is really worthwhile, but man the instruction on what to do and how to program everything are not helpful at all to someone who is new to programming.

Right now, I can’t get a single command to be sent successfully to the RC-500. I’ve been able to successfully program a toggle command to a block in my Helix, but the RC-500 is completely non-functional at this point. This is really disappointing and demoralizing.

Given that midi was developed decades ago, I would have thought it would be much more standardized by now. Crazy.

Boss is notorious for their midi implementation. If you dig through this board you will find useful info, though

OMG, I just posted this in a year-old post on a different topic, but my observations re MIDI resonate with the last sentence of your post! It hurts to say it–every time–but the struggle is worth it. One of the most complex pedals on my pedal board is the Beat Buddy. Now, because of MIDI and the MC8–I NEVER need to touch it. But that’s because of the best video Morningstar Engineering ever produced. If only they had the resources to be that thorough on every pedal ever produced. In any event, I share your frustration. (Oh, and thanks to the most excellent help in this forum I actually managed to program my RC 500, which I jettisoned about a a few months ago for another looping option). Welcome to the MIDI “Cult.”