Expression.... Midi or Not ? What offerts more possibilités?

Hello

I have a morningstar mc-6, a source audio ventris reverb pedal and a sa-161 source audio expression pedal.
So…
I would like you to tell me if a midi expression pedal would offer an advantage over an expression pedal like the sa-161?

Why am I asking the question?

I find myself facing a few small problems.
For example:
I’m trying to engage channel 2 of my boss od-200, + ventris reverb off.
I would like, as soon as I touch the expression pedal, to turn it on and using the range of the pedal for the reverb amount.

For now, I have programmed the ventris on.
I configured the mc-6’s “F-button” to turn the ventris on and off. No problem on that side, it works but I would like for example:

Turn on the distortion with button B, reverb off, and by pressing the expression pedal, allow the pedal to wake up.
A midi pedal, insofar as connected to midi on the mc-6 would it not be more practical, insofar as via the editor, it can be assigned several orders
?

How do you deal with your expression pedals?
I am open to everything.

THANKS.

Excuse my Bad englisch

Nobody Here to help me?

Does the mc-6 have the ability to change Exp settings of a non-midi expression pedal connected to a midi device ? (source audio ventris with a sa 161)

Not sure what you’re asking, but perhaps some of this will help:

• In terms of generating MIDI output, the difference between an analog expression pedal going into the MC-6 versus a midi-expression pedal would be related to how each device can shape the curve of the midi, send commands based upon the location of the pedal, etc. Those may or may not matter to you.
    • The MC6 can only currently trigger a midi command (like engage channel 2) based upon heel up or toe down position.
    • I don’t think it supports motion as a trigger, but that sounds like something that Morningstar could add.
    • There’s a chance that the on-engage might work as long as you press (engage) some other footswitch first?
  • If you want the MC6 pro to (also?) control a pedal needing an analog expression pedal, you’ll need a device like this: Old Blood Noise Endeavors — MTET Midi to Expression Translator
  • Analog expression will move in smoother, finer increments. Analog expression is smooth and continuous. You may or may not notice this difference. The next gen Midi 2.0 will improve on this, but don’t hold your breath.

The pedals I control by midi expression CC have their own config to detect “motion” and don;t care if it’s from midi or analog expression.

I’m back from hollydays since yesterday, so sorry for the late answers.

OK. Thanks for the answers.
It’s a lot informations but It’s a good start to understand how it Could work.

So if i understand, i have to make two Things to activate pedal if i want to activate the pedal to use it…
-activate the reverb with a button
-use the pedal toe/Heel position for the effects amount.

I will try your idea, to use the “first engage” message to Look if the reverb goes “on” when i Touch the exp pedal.

The thing is that my reverb is manageable via neuro Desktop Editor and my mc-6 via “morningstar” editor.

I fear a conflict between the two.

What do you think makes the most sense?

Manage the reverb by connecting the expression pedal directly into the reverb? Or is it better to connect the expression pedal in the mc-6 and manage everything via morningstar Editor with #CC?

For my source audio pedals, I opened neuro editor and mapped every value I wanted to control via expression to a CC, and took a screenshot. Then I just set up expression presets that call those CCs. Means I can very easily include (or exclude) any value from any preset on the Morningstar without bothering with other editors.

I’ve done the same as moley: mapped most of the controls in my C4 to CC’s.

I don’t have a Ventris, but here’s how I’d approach this.

If you are engaging your distortion with button B, add a message to also engage the ventris. Now here you have some options:
Save the reverb preset in the ventris with the mix control fully dry, with the expression set to control mix, so that when that preset loads, the reverb is effectively ‘off’. You can then roll in the reverb with the expression pedal.
-or-
Save the ventris preset however you like, and in the preset B on the MC6, send a CC message (whichever CC you’ve mapped to the mix knob in neuro) with a value of zero.

The above would work whether you are connecting the expression pedal directly to the ventris, or if you’re connecting it to the MC6, though you’ll need to change the expression source in the ventris preset, and set up the exp. messages in the MC6.

1 Like

@moley6knipe and @Hooper

I have several options…
The first advice , from Moley, seems easy to implement.
However, I have several doubts to you guys.

1- The impedance of my audio source expression pedal, which apparently is too high (I don’t know much about it) :roll_eyes: :thinking: :grimacing:

2- If I change, for example from sound B to sound A, even with the values programmed at 0 as Hopper suggests, depending on the range where the pedal is, won’t it automatically be on? I mean reverb not at 0? (I haven’t tried it yet, I work a lot that’s why I didn’t have time to answer you before now)

3- There is an “enable external control” and “sync midi clock” setting.

• enable external control: if controlled by the mc-6, should it be ON or OFF?
  • sync midi clock: I roughly understand, but don’t know what exact impact this will have

4- What means “mapped” a value ? (i’m french, so excuse my englisch?
does it mean look the amout of a parameter/ setting and it’s CC# ?

5- Am i really more flexible by controlling the expression settings of the ventris , with my MC-6 in compare of puitting the EXP-Pedal directly into the ventris?

thank for your help guys :grinning: