Custom/DIY Live Looping Pedal Board

Just finished my rig for live looping with the MC8 as the center piece. Wanted to be able to space out foot switches to my liking and have them color led lit to be able to look down and quickly know which to press. Arcade buttons work surprisingly well.

I chose oak for the body and poplar for the pin strips but they are both lighter woods and there is not as much contrast as I was hoping for. All in all, I’m very pleased with how this turned out.

What do you guys think?

5 Likes

Wait, what?

So you rehoused an MC8 to fit ten color coded arcade switches? Is this for real?

This is an epic board, my hat is off to you. Nice woodworking skills!

Yeah like @Quasar says…. More details please! Really interested to see more pics, underside, inside etc. Intriguing!

Woah. Can we see the guts? :slight_smile:

Took it apart to add protective coats of lacquer. Once it dries I’ll put it back together and send pics

Thanks man, appreciate it!

Here is the final product after a some coats of lacquer. Also, some pics of the inside and bottom.

The small board on the left is the interface that came w the arcade buttons. I’m only using this to power the LEDs in the buttons. I wired the contact closures of the buttons to the MC8 so they would function the same as the original foot switches. The green board on the far left is the inside of a Boss FS-6 pedal. I tried to solder the TRS control out of the Boss RC-500 directly to 2 extra arcade buttons (that’s why I have 10 buttons instead of 8) but for whatever reason this would send a latched signal as opposed to a momentary one. There must be some resistor or something in the FS-6. I couldn’t figure it out, so instead of making the board bigger to accommodate the FS-6, I took the guts out and soldered the arcade buttons directly to the FS-6 board and left it inside the pedal board. Then I connected it per usual to the Boss looper with a TRS cable. My wire management isn’t ideal but I really wanted to make the board with as small a foot print as possible, so there were a few compromises.
I super glued the feet to the 1/8” bottom, I didn’t want to build out a block on the inside or risk screwing into anything.

This was a really fun project and having a blast using this set up!

7 Likes

Brilliant. This is so clever, I love what you’ve done here! Massive food for thought….

1 Like

Excelent job. You have my admiration.

For anyone who might be interested, here is a vid of the board in action.

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words mate!

Thanks so much for sharing, looks like you’ve done an incredible job, looks proper tidy.

Can you tell us a little more about the button configuration? You have 10 arcade buttons… so which 8 are wired to the MC8 and since you don’t have any buttons above the LCD, which ones are which? And what are the additional 2 buttons for and how are they wired up?

@ambient Thanks!

Yes, the bottom left 4 buttons are Presets A-D on the MC8, The blue and white buttons on the top left are Presets E and F on the MC8, and the bottom right yellow and blue are Presets G and H on the MC8. The top right 2 buttons are connected to the stereo control out of the RC-500.

A (Red): Track 1 Record/Play
B (Green): Track 1 Play/Stop
C (Red): Track 2 Record/Play
D (Green): Track 2 Play/Stop
E (Blue): Undo/Redo
F (White): Toggle to put the MC8 in and out of “Looper Mode”
G (Yellow): Play/Stop All
H (Blue): Rhythm - This starts and stops the built in drum machine on the RC-500

Control Out Left (White): Preset Down on RC-500
Control Out Right (White): Preset Up on RC-500

The control out to the 2 buttons is connected with a TRS cable into a Boss FS-6 pedal inside the board. See below:

“The green board on the far left is the inside of a Boss FS-6 pedal. I tried to solder the TRS control out of the Boss RC-500 directly to 2 extra arcade buttons (that’s why I have 10 buttons instead of 8) but for whatever reason this would send a latched signal as opposed to a momentary one. There must be some resistor or something in the FS-6. I couldn’t figure it out, so instead of making the board bigger to accommodate the FS-6, I took the guts out and soldered the arcade buttons directly to the FS-6 board and left it inside the pedal board. Then I connected it per usual to the Boss looper with a TRS cable.”

1 Like

@james is there a way to have the MC8 default to looper mode at start up?

Thanks for the button info. Definitely makes me wonder about adding additional buttons to my MC8.

@james is there a way to have the MC8 default to looper mode at start up?

Yup, I do this, its pretty easy. On your “Home” bank under “Edit Bank” add an “On Enter” event that engages Looper Mode.

1 Like

@ambient Awesome thanks! Now I have an extra button!

I guess I should learn the editor a bit more.

This is so bada$$ - really impressive stuff