Concerning PC and CC Number scroll

We already have scroll types :

• Increase by 1 and send
  • Decrease by 1 and send

It would be nice to have also :

• Send and Increase by 1
  • Send and Decrease by 1

EDIT:
And it would be nice to have PC and CC counters separated in order to have 16 counters for each category.

I don’t think we’ll add this yet but we’re adding an increase/decrease by 1. So you can use a Send Only message and then an Increase/decrease by 1 message to achieve a “Send and Increase by 1” for now.

Question @james: would it be possible to change the step sizes on these counters or increase by X and send. For cc values this would be really powerful and would replace much of my message scroll usage with more powerful ways since I could long press to scroll down for example. That being said a way to reverse message scroll would be cool too.

1 Like

Adding a step OK but you already can Long press to scroll down just using decrease (only or send) with long press release action ? Or I missed your point ?

Concerning these counters, as they are localized in the same data area for CC and PC Scroll message, couldn’t we add an internal ‘Counter’ message type to adjust their values without using the CC Scroll or PC Scroll messages, with the actions as Update only, Decrease only, Increase only and Reset ? No need to invoke any CC or PC for these actions ?

off the top of my head and scrolling through the code, it looks possible. Will need to check first - have added to our backlog.

1 Like

This would be soooo useful!

Concerning these counters, as they are localized in the same data area for CC and PC Scroll message, couldn’t we add an internal ‘Counter’ message type to adjust their values without using the CC Scroll or PC Scroll messages, with the actions as Update only, Decrease only, Increase only and Reset ? No need to invoke any CC or PC for these actions ?

The way I’d like to see this implemented is to add “and send” as a checkbox on the counter value-manipulation actions, which when active would allow you to select PC/CC and the appropriate number, plus a “Send Only” message with the same selection options. This keeps the Message-type drop-down from becoming unmanageably long, while providing more flexibility in programming.

I would prefer that all counter management simply related to managing the counter itself, all the ‘only’ with update increment decrement, reset, be now attached to a dedicated Counter MSG type and removed from PC and CC Scroll message type where they are ambiguous.
This could allow to use Counters for something else than simply sending midi PC and CC.
May be we could think of engaging the MC8 preset or jump to a bank from a counter value.
may be could we use a counter to set the real time clock (need a wider range than 0-127 or a multiply factor) and with a press increase little by little this bpm to obtain time effects.
Etc.
I also support the proposal already made that each counter contains also a step which would be used by increment and decrement.

That’s basically what I described; sending the contents of a counter as a PC/CC would be a separate message of type Counter, and an option on the other Counter messages.

So we have just to wait the opinion of @james

Gets my vote. I can see a load of uses for that… as stated, decouples it from PC or CC and just becomes a way of incrementing, decrementing or updating a “thing” which can then be used for, erm, other things! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m fully on board with this :grinning: (I’d like to have an easy way to loop through a set of banks).

1 Like