Boss GT-1000 Core - Toggle Mode taking two foot switch presses to execute

I’m using the following setup for Preset F (see screen capture). I’m finding that it takes two foot switch presses to enable the Delay and then another two foot switch presses to disable it (my expectation with the toggle would be 1 foot switch press). The CC assignment on the Core seems to be correct otherwise I wouldn’t see any change at all. I’m using v3.7.4 and did the reset procedure.

I’m new to the MC8 and the GT-1000 Core, so appreciate any guidance or suggestions. I tried various combinations of Save Preset Toggle, using both (instead of 1 and 2), clear preset toggles, etc… and no luck to get the behaviour I need. I also made sure to disconnect the editor as that was causing some things not to execute properly.

Hi!

What CC messages are you expecting to send out each time you press the button? From your setting, when you press the switch once, a CC#2 Value 127 will be sent. When you press it again, a CC#2 Value 0 will be sent.

The preset is toggling between two positions (because Toggle Mode is turned ON) and each of your message is set to Position 1 (for msg1) and Position 2 (for msg 2)

Hi James: thank you for the reply.
The behaviour you have outlined is what I would have expected from a CC perspective. Perhaps it is a bug on the GT-1000 Core as it will not respond accordingly. I have to press the button multiple times on the MC8 and then eventually the effect will enable. If I press the button two more times, it will disable the effect. Two more times and then it will enable the effect. It is not toggling the effect on/off on the GT-1000 Core with each button press on the MC8 like I would have expected.

@James, this was the reply I received from the support team at Roland, is there a method to accomplish this on the MC8?

See if your midi controller is able to send an “off” message, or has a momentary mode for the foot switch. Some midi devices do not need an “off” message to respond as you’d like, but in the case of GT-1000 because there are functions that use press and hold, and momentary it needs to have the OFF message sent by your controller.

Since you programmed a “toggle” CC in Morningstar, make sure the mode is set to “moment” in the Boss GT-1000.

2 Likes

@richmois, thank you for the suggestion. I tried that moment setting for the CC setup on the GT-1000 Core, but if fails to respond to any changes from the MC8 when set to moment (at least for me)

@richmois, I stand corrected, now it seems to be working for me. I will keep trying this approach for my other CC toggle setups and see how it goes. Thanks for the information.

Although, I do not own the GT-1000CORE, I have several other BOSS multieffects. There is usually a setting when using CC switching to be in either “Latch” mode or “Momentary” mode. If your switching is not working, changing this mode will more than likely correct the problem.

That’s correct. Also I managed to control the tap tempo of my dd500 and rv500 by sending a cc 0 and 127 simultaneously for each press of the footswich. But you’ll have to map it to the cc# that corresponds to the Tap footswich (dd500) or External CTL switch. You’ll also have to set the tap function to the according switch in the control assignment menue of the boss pedal. took me days to figure that out. Trying to control a boss pedal by midi is a pain in the a**

I am also having this issue with my Boss RC-505 / MC-8. I have tried all number of options shown here but haven’t found a solution.

RC505 settings:

Assgn1 Switch: On
Assgn1 Source: CC# 1
Assgn1 Src Mode: Moment
Assgn1 Target: TR1 PLAY/STOP

I did have luck by setting the press to “CC Waveform Generator” as “Linear Up Once” (not forgetting to disconnect) but haven’t tried this in performance. Not sure if this will cause latency on rec/playback.

A “Boss CC Toggle” type would be useful here.

@james I saw you responded to somebody on Facebook about this issue specific to the RC-505, but it said you’d responded to a support email. Any info you could provide here for posterity?

Thanks