Boss EQ-200 MIDI control

Hello,

I’m new to Morningstar: just purchased MC8.
Looking at the list of supported gear, I’m pretty OK, but I haven’t found too much on EQ-200.

Does anyone have some experience with Boss EQ-200 MIDI control?

I’m thinking about not just program changes, but like controlling Boss EQ-200 volume be expression pedal attached to MC8 (same volume values to be sent to multiple devices including EQ-200).

Thanks for any experience and knowledge shared!

I have the EQ-200 and used it with MIDI. It has Boss’s architecture for allowing quite a bit of rope to hang ones self (but it is quite flexible).

In the menu options, you have RX CH (MIDI Channel IN #) and CC IN (boolean to receive control change messages, should be ON). Then you have a host of options relating to the pedal’s own CTL (Control) and EXP (Expression) functions, which you’ll need to set as you like. Finally, you have CTL CC and EXP CC, which is how you map a specific MIDI Controller to those things. Then you are finally ready to send it some MIDI.

1 Like

Thank you Joe!

Do you eventually have the list of midi commands to be used at hand?

Thanks

I don’t have it at hand, mainly because it’s all expressed in the Boss menu. It’s not a static list of CC mappings, you can go into the menu and decide what CC should do what. It’s not like most things where you need to refer to a MIDI Implementation chart, which, come to think of it, is probably why it’s not a good candidate for the MIDI library.

1 Like

Replying here just if anybody finds this thread like I did, trying to deal with the Boss EQ-200 MIDI implementation, because it’s such a pain, and Boss hates their customers, this shows obviously by their useless manuals. Took me half an hour to find out, just how to toggle both EQ’s A and B on and off. Maybe this helps, it is weird though, wtf did the people at Boss think they were doing???

TOGGLE EQ’S A AND B ON/OFF WITH THE MORNINGSTAR:

Setup Menu of the EQ200:

• SW FNC: → A (turns the left footswitch into an on/off toggle switch for EQ A)
  • MEM FNC: → B (turns the right footswitch into an on/off toggle switch for EQ B)

• SW PREF: → SYS
  • MEM PREF: → SYS

• RX 12 (Receiving Midi channel, in my case No 12)

• CC IN → ON

• SW CC → 1 (Define CC# to toggle EQ A/the left switch, I choose 1)
  • SW MEM → 2 (Define CC# to toggle EQ B/the right switch, I choose 2)

Now to toggle switch A or B weirdly you have to send CC#1 or CC#2 with value 127 followed by value 0 to prepare it (???) to toggle it again with value 127 the next time you press… it’s weird I know, why???

(If you use the function EFX SW CC further down in the menu you just can keep sending value 127 on a chosen CC# and it will toggle the EQ200 on and off, but this is not very helpful, as the switch lights do not change and you cant tell whether it’s on and off, when you missed the short message on the display.)

Please have a look at the screenshot, on how I set up a preset to switch EQ A on and off.

Hope this helps! :smiley:

And here’s how to setup a preset to scroll through saved memory slots on your EQ200.

I use two buttons/presets, one to scroll up, one to scroll down. You can hold the preset to scroll. You’ll have to choose/define a scroll counter in the MC controller settings, I advise to choose a useful range like maybe 10 or 20 memory slots to recall, which means setting your scroll counter to min 0, max 20…
In the example given you see the preset to scroll down, just copy the preset to another button and replace Decrease by Increase, so you’ll have scroll buttons for both directions.

The Preset name shows you, where the counter’s at. PcDnSd is my creation, I think you get what it means. Important is the following bit %FC (%F displays the scroll counter number and takes in account that Boss uses value 0 for memory slot 1, value 1 for memory slot 2 and so on. So the displayed number on your MC will correspond with the memory slot number. Finally “C” decides which scroll counter is used and shall be displayed. “C” is the scroll counter I chose to use with the EQ200)

EQ-200 setup menu:

RX 12 (Receiving Midi channel, in my case No 12)

PC IN → ON

And here’s the screenshot, hope this helps.