Boss 200eq programming

Firstly I’m a technophobe my wife even took the tv remote off me in frustration so please keep it simple.
I have a new MC6 have managed to use a PC to switch channels on my plethora. Now I have a Boss 200 EQ. Channel A and B are independent. A is in the front end and on all the time so I can forget that however I use channel B as a boost and is in the effects loop. All I want to do is push a button and get my lead board on my Plethora (done) and at the same time Turn on channel B on the Boss EQ. Should be simple for most people however read the manual (boss and MC6) 4 hours later nothing. I just do not understand what I’m looking at . Being dyslexic does not help. Ideally a midi course for guitarist might be a good investment. Can anyone help before I give up and sell the lot and go back to the 70’s.

O.k. first: Don’t Panic!
You will get there.
The way midi works on the eq200 is wiered but pretty straight forward once you get it.

1. To choose a memory slot just send a pc#.
    Pc# 0 = Manual, pc#1 = patch1.
    (It is possible that this is offset by 1. In this case Pc#1 would be Manual, I don’t have my eq200 around to check this. Just try for yourself)

2. To get your eq to respond to midi cc# you have to complete two steps.

First set up the eq as if you’d want to switch your channel A or B by a physical switch. I recommend to choose C1 FNC = A ON/OFF and C2 FNC = B ON/OFF. I also recommend to set CTL1 PREF and CTL2 PREF to SYSTEM.

Second make sure that your eq does recieve midi.
PC IN, PC OUT, CC IN and CC OUT should be set to ON.
Now you can assign a cc# to the CTL1 switch (CTL1 CC) and another cc# to CTL2 (CTL2 CC).
Now, if you send the cc# you have assigned to a switch it’s as if you would have physically pressed that switch.
For example if you have assigned cc# 1 to CTL1, sending a cc#1 with a value of 127 will engage Channel A, sending a cc#1 with a cc value of 0 will disengage Channel A.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Hi
Many thanks for you help but 2 hour in and I’m still looking blank at it.
1. To choose a memory slot just send a pc#.
Pc# 0 = Manual, pc#1 = patch1.
(It is possible that this is offset by 1. In this case Pc#1 would be Manual, I don’t have my eq200 around to check this. Just try for yourself)

Sorry do not understand memory slot on EQ? How do I send a PC what does # mean?

First set up the eq as if you’d want to switch your channel A or B by a physical switch. I recommend to choose C1 FNC = A ON/OFF and C2 FNC = B ON/OFF. I also recommend to set CTL1 PREF and CTL2 PREF to SYSTEM

Done this ok

PC IN, PC OUT, CC IN and CC OUT should be set to ON.
Done this

Now you can assign a cc# to the CTL1 switch (CTL1 CC) and another cc# to CTL2 (CTL2 CC).
Now, if you send the cc# you have assigned to a switch it’s as if you would have physically pressed that switch.
For example if you have assigned cc# 1 to CTL1, sending a cc#1 with a value of 127 will engage Channel A, sending a cc#1 with a cc value of 0 will disengage Channel A.
Completely lost again here?

Also on the Morningstar I have midi channel but then midi number? What’s the difference which do I use?
On the EQ I have a sw cc, mem cc, Ctl1 cc, and ctl2 cc what do these mean?
Then just to add to it I have a RX Ch and a TC ch do I set the same? What are they!

For someone with an IQ of 126 I can’t get this at all.

Please can you help.

Typically PC#s are tied to presets. In your case we’re looking at using CC#s to control the actual switch for B. Boss is weird when it comes to midi so instead of having a list saying CC#1 does this and CC#2 does that, they have a set number of “Controls” (CTL1 etc.)
So firstly, in the Boss, we need to set what CTRL1 does. @GuitarWolf suggested the most direct solution being CTRL1 for switch A and CTRL2 for switch B. Next in the boss you can manually set what CC# you want to trigger CTRL1/2 (which in turn acts exactly like triggering the actual switch on the Boss)
Pretty round about way considering most pedals have a set list so you just program what it tells you goes where. This is just extra steps allowing you to choose what controls what. Yeah, ass backwards…

Hope that helps a little?

Ok

Watch this, might shed some light on some things

Most of your questions are tackled in this video.
If you want to control only the eq200 by midi you can leave the midi channel to RX. Your pedal will respond to all messages regardless on which channel they are send. If you are planning to control more than one pedal by midi, just pick a number. For midi out choose TX = RX
(RX channel = the channel on which midi is recieved; TX channel = the channel on wich midi will be send at the midi out of your pedal)

“On the EQ I have a sw cc, mem cc, Ctl1 cc, and ctl2 cc what do these mean?”

This is where you can assign a cc number (cc#) to the switches on your pedal

Also have a look at this thread

1 Like

Thanks for your help unfortunately still not getting it.
I followed the other threads and thought I was getting close but no.

Confused about the Rx in the thread the guy mentioned he used 12 as long as the number in the EQ and the Morningstar are the same I guess it should not matter?
I also note on the screen shot the read out on the Morningstar has 12 - EQ200 where did the EQ200 come from? I just had the number 12.

Is this anything to do with it? I must have spent 12 hours on this is midi worth the hassle???
Help please

If it’s worth it is up to you :wink:

You can give a name to midi channels on the mc, that’s why it is displayed in the screenshot. If you don’t specify a channel on the eq200 it doesn’t matter which channel you are sending midi on. Channel 12 is fine, for simplicity I’d choose channel 1

I’m also new to Midi. I have three Boss pedals: OD200, MD200, and DD200. They all came preset to receive midi signals on Channel 1 (rCh = 1).

I found this Boss 200 Series Midi Guide very helpful: Boss 200 Series MIDI Guide - YouTube