Beatbuddy drum folders change

Can you tell me how to remote control Singular sound BEATBUDDY folders and drum kits?
Ive read the manual and Im not having any luck. I dont see any information on your website on how to remote control beatbuddy.
Im able to remote control, fill, outro and etc but not FOLDER AND DRUM KITS,

Thanks,

You’ll need to refer to the beat buddy MIDI implementation to see what can be controlled with MIDI: https://singularsound.com/downloadable/BeatBuddy-MIDISettings-Firmware-v1.77.pdf

Hi there. I prepared two images to illustrate how to do Program Changes on the BB from your MC devices, I hope they are clear enough. Cheers!

1 Like

Luis,

Thank you

Hello,

Im not happy with this unit at all - It’s hard to get a service request response - you have to go to the forum and look for the answer and it is unacceptable , using the unit as program change and cc messages is not hard but once passed beyond pc and cc messages is a pain and no one to to ask for assistance.

The unit itself is pricey to do cc messages and program messages - i need to do more than cc messages and pc for this unit.

I have beatbuddy that i cannot program to scroll to drum kits - it will only do one kit at a time and beatbuddy will not advance /scroll to folders and song - It does one a time only

Same thing with my roland rc 500 that will not scroll to drum kits only one a time .

IF you are not the correct person for this email i would appreciate it if you can forward the complain/ request to the right team.

Fyi- i created a service a ticket about 1 week ago and i received an automated response.

Hi @jgmrecording .
I’m afraid I don’t work for Morningstar Engineering, I just provided those images to try to help you with your request.

Now, About selecting BB drum kits in a scrolling fashion, as far as I know that capability has not been provided by Singular Sound, other than the option to select a specific drum kit with a CC116 instruction. The BB’s scrolling or, rather, INCremental and DECremental MIDI capabilities are provided for the Tempo parameter only.

Actually, Singular Sound just released firmware 3.9.9 and apparently they added this INC/DEC option to the Main Volume and the Headphones Volume, with no additional information as to how to do it. I have just sent Singular Sound an email requesting information. AND, I think they also added the ability to do PC INC/DEC in this release (I don’t use it so I have not checked this yet)
There is a thread on the BB Forum with this firmware announcement and at the very top you’ll fin the changelog with all the information and the link to download the firmware.

And regarding the Roland RC500, I’m afraid I don’t have one so I cannot be of much help there.

I’m surprised @James or somebody else from Morningstar have not replied to you, they’ve responded my emails very quickly.

All the best and let me know if there’s something else regarding the BB that you need help with.

EDIT: I noticed that @James did replied with the PC and DRUMSET information you needed, which I complemented in my post.

Luis,

Thank you for your help - I hope someone from MS responds -
Im ready to send it back.

Cheers.

1 Like

I understand your frustration, but if you’ll consider my advice, give it a little time to familiarize yourself with your MIDI Controller (and with the BB, RC500, etc) because, for me the MC6- MKii has considerably improved my performance, and I’m learning more and more about its capabilities every day.
It’s been a game changer for me, having to control a Roland GR55, a Beatbuddy, a Voicelive 3, a Soundcraft Ui12 AND Onsong on my iPad, all from my MC-6.

Anyway, all the best! Cheers!

Luis,
ive been spending time to familiarize myself with this unit and its taking up a lot of my time at night , I also have a GR 55, helix effect and tc electronics that i havent plugin to the mc8 because of the problem i might run into. Im not a programmer im just trying to control my devices for live gig situation. Right now it is more of a headache than playing my instruments,

I’ve already replied the same question you sent us via email in this forum thread and hence did not reply your email.

If you reach out to us on both platforms (email and forum), we prefer to reply here since everyone else can benefit from the information. We do not have direct experience with the thousands of MIDI products out there in the market, and hence if there’s any question on specific product’s (like the beat buddy) MIDI implementation, it’s always better to ask here as there might be users (like @LuisLugo) who owns the product and can provide you with more information (thanks btw!)

We can only help with whatever we can infer from their manual. If it is NOT documented and we don’t own the product, we can’t help at all. If there’s something specific you want to do in the controller, of course we’ll do our best to help if it’s possible.

Regarding scrolling through folders in the beat buddy (we don’t own a beat buddy), based on their MIDI implementation, there’s no easy way to scroll through folders because you need to send 3 MIDI messages - a CC#0 message, a CC#32 message and a PC message. As stated in their manual, sending only CC messages do not change the beat buddy’s song. A PC message is required as well.

Please note that this is not a limitation with our controllers, but more on a limitation on their MIDI implementation (if scrolling through folders is important, there should be a CC function for it?). ANY midi controller can only do so much based on another device’s MIDI implementation. You can try requesting for them to implement a CC# function to scroll through folders or songs, instead of sending 3 MIDI messages.

Again, if the Beat Buddy’s MIDI implementation does not have a function to do what you want, there’s no way any MIDI controller can do it for you.

If you still need a reply via email, please do let me know and I can send you the same response.

@LuisLugo thanks for the supplement information!

2 Likes

James,

What you sent on your reply with the document is not in details - Ive read the bb manual and what you sent me is public information that I’ve read. it was no use to me . i was hoping for a clearer response

• I will need more detail pictures or something to make it happen/work for my end. Im not a programmer - im just a musician who is trying to use your product to make things less complicated. Right now i dont look forward to use my MC8 . Its best to respond with a pictures if you will assist me with my reques
james
May 8

I’ve already replied the same question you sent us via email in this forum thread and hence did not reply your email.

If you reach out to us on both platforms (email and forum), we prefer to reply here since everyone else can benefit from the information. We do not have direct experience with the thousands of MIDI products out there in the market, and hence if there’s any question on specific product’s (like the beat buddy) MIDI implementation, it’s always better to ask here as there might be users (like @LuisLugo) who owns the product and can provide you with more information (thanks btw!)

We can only help with whatever we can infer from their manual. If it is NOT documented and we don’t own the product, we can’t help at all. If there’s something specific you want to do in the controller, of course we’ll do our best to help if it’s possible.

Regarding scrolling through folders in the beat buddy (we don’t own a beat buddy), based on their MIDI implementation, there’s no easy way to scroll through folders because you need to send 3 MIDI messages - a CC#0 message, a CC#32 message and a PC message. As stated in their manual, sending only CC messages do not change the beat buddy’s song. A PC message is required as well.

Please note that this is not a limitation with our controllers, but more on a limitation on their MIDI implementation (if scrolling through folders is important, there should be a CC function for it?). ANY midi controller can only do so much based on another device’s MIDI implementation. You can try requesting for them to implement a CC# function to scroll through folders or songs, instead of sending 3 MIDI messages.

Again, if the Beat Buddy’s MIDI implementation does not have a function to do what you want, there’s no way any MIDI controller can do it for you.

If you still need a reply via email, please do let me know and I can send you the same response.

@LuisLugo thanks for the supplement information!

I think you might need to be more specific in your question.

If you are asking how to

remote control Singular sound BEATBUDDY folders and drum kits

it is as per what is stated in the BB manual:

To access Folders 1-128,
First, send a CC#0 Value 0 message.
Then send a CC#32 message. The CC Value used here determines which folder is selected (between 1-128). A CC Value 0 selects Folder 1. A CC Value 127 selects Folder 127.
Then, send a Program change message to select the song in that folder.

If you want to access Folders 129-256, Your first CC#0 messages needs to have a value of 1.
Then send a CC#32 message. The CC Value used here determines which folder is selected (between 129-256). A CC Value 0 selects Folder 129. A CC Value 127 selects Folder 256.
Then send a PC message to select the song.

I guess you already know the above because you mentioned this in your reply:

I have beatbuddy that i cannot program to scroll to drum kits - it will only do one kit at a time and beatbuddy will not advance /scroll to folders and song - It does one a time only

If you are asking how to scroll through folders in the beat buddy, then I don’t think that is possible in the BB MIDI implementation.

As per what @LuisLugo stated,

Now, About selecting BB drum kits in a scrolling fashion, as far as I know that capability has not been provided by Singular Sound, other than the option to select a specific drum kit with a CC116 instruction.

You should raise that request or question to the Singular Sound team.

If you are asking how to scroll through songs, you can send incremental/decremental PC messages in the MC8. This is documented here: https://morningstarengineering.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/MMS/pages/372703233/Sending+incremental+decremental+PC+numbers+or+CC+Values

1 Like

im not sure if you are reading my responses stating that pictures with the actual cc messages and etc is better for me . Pictures of the midi editor with the actual value is much better to follow than reading it. Pictures will be the great.

Also in my responses i have the same problem with my rc 500 drum kits not scrolling . Ive contacted both roland and singular sound and Morning star to get it resolve. It looks like a lot of people are having the same questions and problems with the scrolling problem. MC 8 is great for cc messages and program changes for in house use but when you try to use it for real live shows it is more complicated than helpful. If i could return the unit i would but it seems like i passed the 7 days trial I receved the unit about 3 weeks ago from MORNING STAR.

James, that incremental/decremental PC/CC option on my MC-6 solved the BB Volume INC/DEC issue I was having while trying to implement the Singular Sound recently added capability (a cumbersome and confusing procedure, I’d say)!

Thank you so much for that link! I now can use this for other things I had in mind.
Cheers!

Hi, jgmrecording.

I checked the BB newly added capability to select folders and songs, using CC 118 and CC119, and I successfully tried them out using my MS MC-6.

• CC118 is used to ENTER or EXIT into/from a Folder, with a single value.
  • CC119 is used to go up or down the Folders (when Folders are shown on the BB screen) or Songs (when Songs are shown, after you’ve entered a folder).

I’ll attach 3 images from the MS Editor which you can use to replicate in your MC-8. Each image corresponds to a single CC, so you’ll use 3 switches for this with a PRESS action each. You could use a single switch (instead of two) for the Up/down instructions selecting the TOGGLE MODE in the MS Editor with two different actions (like RELEASE and LONG PRESS, for instance), but I find the two switches “cleaner”.

NOTE: You need to enable the “Enter Exit Folder (CC:118)” and “Scroll Up/Down (CC:119)” options within the BB “Main Pedal-MIDI Settings-MIDI IN-Control Change(CC)” page.

Just replicate the information found in the images into any 3 switches (Presets) on your MC-8, that should work.

I can’t help you with your RC500, sorry.
Cheers!

Luis

I cant wait to try this afternoon
I m also in touch with jay from beat buddy
Cheers

And this is how you can program your MC-8 to go up and down the BB Drum Kits. The information I used is on the link that @James already provided to you.

1. On your MS Editor, go to Controller Settings and open Scroll Counters (see pic)
  2. Use the values I highlighted on my pic (use Counter 0, if you like)
  3. Copy the values from my second pic into any Switch or Preset you like. Note that, in this case I programmed the same switch for the two actions involved, that is, INCrease and DECrease. You could split the two messages into two separate switches if you like.

NOTE: You need to enable the “Drum Set” option within the BB “Main Pedal-MIDI Settings-MIDI IN-Control Change(CC)” page.

I hope this is clear.
Cheers.

Also check my most recent response: Beatbuddy drum folders change - #16 by LuisLugo

Luis,

I copied the same setup as the picture -

Luis,
i followed all your instructions and picture and it is working fine WHEN CONNECTED TO MS EDITOR - However as soon as i disconnect from the ms editor it does not work anymore.

this is what happen when i disconnect from midi editor .
when i press bbfolder it goes to bank 6 for no reason at alll - i restarted bb and i checked firware 3.8 .0 is installed. ANY IDEAS ?

You can go to https://www.midimonitor.com/ to view the out-going MIDI messages from the MC8, so you know what is being sent to the beat-buddy. This function will work regardless of whether you are connected to the editor or not.

Can you try that and share a screenshot of what you see when you engage the preset multiple times?

1 Like