Beatbuddy drum folders change

I think you might need to be more specific in your question.

If you are asking how to

remote control Singular sound BEATBUDDY folders and drum kits

it is as per what is stated in the BB manual:

To access Folders 1-128,
First, send a CC#0 Value 0 message.
Then send a CC#32 message. The CC Value used here determines which folder is selected (between 1-128). A CC Value 0 selects Folder 1. A CC Value 127 selects Folder 127.
Then, send a Program change message to select the song in that folder.

If you want to access Folders 129-256, Your first CC#0 messages needs to have a value of 1.
Then send a CC#32 message. The CC Value used here determines which folder is selected (between 129-256). A CC Value 0 selects Folder 129. A CC Value 127 selects Folder 256.
Then send a PC message to select the song.

I guess you already know the above because you mentioned this in your reply:

I have beatbuddy that i cannot program to scroll to drum kits - it will only do one kit at a time and beatbuddy will not advance /scroll to folders and song - It does one a time only

If you are asking how to scroll through folders in the beat buddy, then I don’t think that is possible in the BB MIDI implementation.

As per what @LuisLugo stated,

Now, About selecting BB drum kits in a scrolling fashion, as far as I know that capability has not been provided by Singular Sound, other than the option to select a specific drum kit with a CC116 instruction.

You should raise that request or question to the Singular Sound team.

If you are asking how to scroll through songs, you can send incremental/decremental PC messages in the MC8. This is documented here: https://morningstarengineering.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/MMS/pages/372703233/Sending+incremental+decremental+PC+numbers+or+CC+Values

1 Like

im not sure if you are reading my responses stating that pictures with the actual cc messages and etc is better for me . Pictures of the midi editor with the actual value is much better to follow than reading it. Pictures will be the great.

Also in my responses i have the same problem with my rc 500 drum kits not scrolling . Ive contacted both roland and singular sound and Morning star to get it resolve. It looks like a lot of people are having the same questions and problems with the scrolling problem. MC 8 is great for cc messages and program changes for in house use but when you try to use it for real live shows it is more complicated than helpful. If i could return the unit i would but it seems like i passed the 7 days trial I receved the unit about 3 weeks ago from MORNING STAR.

James, that incremental/decremental PC/CC option on my MC-6 solved the BB Volume INC/DEC issue I was having while trying to implement the Singular Sound recently added capability (a cumbersome and confusing procedure, I’d say)!

Thank you so much for that link! I now can use this for other things I had in mind.
Cheers!

Hi, jgmrecording.

I checked the BB newly added capability to select folders and songs, using CC 118 and CC119, and I successfully tried them out using my MS MC-6.

• CC118 is used to ENTER or EXIT into/from a Folder, with a single value.
  • CC119 is used to go up or down the Folders (when Folders are shown on the BB screen) or Songs (when Songs are shown, after you’ve entered a folder).

I’ll attach 3 images from the MS Editor which you can use to replicate in your MC-8. Each image corresponds to a single CC, so you’ll use 3 switches for this with a PRESS action each. You could use a single switch (instead of two) for the Up/down instructions selecting the TOGGLE MODE in the MS Editor with two different actions (like RELEASE and LONG PRESS, for instance), but I find the two switches “cleaner”.

NOTE: You need to enable the “Enter Exit Folder (CC:118)” and “Scroll Up/Down (CC:119)” options within the BB “Main Pedal-MIDI Settings-MIDI IN-Control Change(CC)” page.

Just replicate the information found in the images into any 3 switches (Presets) on your MC-8, that should work.

I can’t help you with your RC500, sorry.
Cheers!

Luis

I cant wait to try this afternoon
I m also in touch with jay from beat buddy
Cheers

And this is how you can program your MC-8 to go up and down the BB Drum Kits. The information I used is on the link that @James already provided to you.

1. On your MS Editor, go to Controller Settings and open Scroll Counters (see pic)
  2. Use the values I highlighted on my pic (use Counter 0, if you like)
  3. Copy the values from my second pic into any Switch or Preset you like. Note that, in this case I programmed the same switch for the two actions involved, that is, INCrease and DECrease. You could split the two messages into two separate switches if you like.

NOTE: You need to enable the “Drum Set” option within the BB “Main Pedal-MIDI Settings-MIDI IN-Control Change(CC)” page.

I hope this is clear.
Cheers.

Also check my most recent response: Beatbuddy drum folders change - #16 by LuisLugo

Luis,

I copied the same setup as the picture -

Luis,
i followed all your instructions and picture and it is working fine WHEN CONNECTED TO MS EDITOR - However as soon as i disconnect from the ms editor it does not work anymore.

this is what happen when i disconnect from midi editor .
when i press bbfolder it goes to bank 6 for no reason at alll - i restarted bb and i checked firware 3.8 .0 is installed. ANY IDEAS ?

You can go to https://www.midimonitor.com/ to view the out-going MIDI messages from the MC8, so you know what is being sent to the beat-buddy. This function will work regardless of whether you are connected to the editor or not.

Can you try that and share a screenshot of what you see when you engage the preset multiple times?

1 Like

Did you press Save Preset?

Hello again.

I am very surprised that some of the instructions could have worked with the BB firmware 3.8 because, as I mentioned to you, some of those capabilities have just been included (May 3) in their latest firmware (3.9.9). I’m assuming you are subscribed to the Singular Sound Users Forum in order for you to find out about their updates and such. Here’s the link to read about firmware 3.9.9 and to download it (I think, I’m still not very good at handling forum links, but if it fails ask Jay at SS):

You also need to make sure you have the latest firmware on your MC-8. I can’t see why not having the MS Editor connected would make a difference.

Regarding your comment about the BB going to folder 6 when you try the bbfolder command, the BB remembers the last folder you were using and it shows that folder when it switches ON and, consequently, so does the bbfolder instruction. But once there you then use the other two switches to move up or down folders. If you press the bbfolder switch it ENTERS the folder and then you use the other two switches to move up/down songs. If you press it again it EXITS that folder and goes back to the folders page AT that same folder location.

If you’d like the BB to go to folder 1, say, after you start the BB, you’ll need another MIDI instruction assigned to another MC-8 switch for that. Bear in mind that the BB itself cannot do that but the MC-8 can!

Cheers!

Additional information, tips, suggestions:

As I mentioned before, my pedalboard is composed of a BB, a VL3, a GR55, a Soundcraft Ui12 mixer and, lately, an MS MC-6 MKii. I also have over 1100 songs in my song list. Imagine tryin to go over selecting the correct presets for each song on all of those devices during a live performance! That’s where a program (iOS app) like Onsong and a Bluetooth MIDI adapter like the Yamaha MD-BT01 made a HUGE difference. On top of that, the MC-6 added yet another dimension and, along with Onsong, both constitute today the control centre of my gear.

Regarding the Beatbuddy, I have created dedicated folders and beats for each song, containing specific song-parts, tempo, drumset, volume, etc.

So, I don’t need to program my MC-6 with those commands I showed you because everytime I select a song in my Onsong directory, all my devices go to specific presets that I have prepared for each song, in an instant. Instead, I prepared a generic Bank on my MC-6 for, for instance, BB Volume Inc/Dec, BB Tap Tempo, and even BB folder/song Inc/Dec, should I ever need to change something without having to kneel to reach my BB.

You said you also have a GR55, and TCH, Boss devices. Well, I can’t recommend highly enough that you get the Onsong app (or Set List Maker app, but I find this one less user-friendly) and either a Yamaha MD-BT01 or CME WIDI Bluetooth MIDI adapter, which along with your MC-8 will greatly simplify your tap dancing and give acces to another realm of possibilities.

Should this not be what you want, I’d suggest you prepare your BB directory with songs containing all the pertaining information, speciric for each song, so you don’t have to bother with selecting or changing generic beats everytime.
This advice applies to all your devices (I know the TCH ones have presets you can save per song)

Anyway, i hope this helps.
Cheers!

Luis,
After resetting BB / mc8 to defaults and UPGRADING the BB firmware updates. song folder and song banks are working . Thank you for all your help Luis I really appreciate it . The drum kit is still in limbo - It will not change to drum kit screen if you press the drum kit . If you are in drum kit screen you can inc/dec folder but you have to manually press the drum kit from bb to get to drum kits screen.

Let me know if you are in Chitown and ill buy you a coffe for all your help .

ON SONG IS just not for me - Ive read about it and people say good things about it. I do live looping real time and mostly jazz and manouche swing for my repertoire . i do like the rc 500 because it has the program change out to send to devices and etc - I havent attach my gr55 and my helix to the mc8 just because i have a feeling that mc 8 will have some issues and I just want to get to playing not get into midi programming. THANK YOU LUIS for all your help. Have a great day.

Hi! Thank you and you’re welcome!

About the BBDrmKit preset on my pic:

Singular Sound does not list a MIDI CC for the action of pressing (or turning) the Drum Set knob to enter the Drum Set page, I am afraid -as far as I know. They only offer CC 116 to go to a specific Drum Set and that’s the CC I used in my example. You could ask SS (Jay) and if they tell you there’s such a CC, please let.me know!

What he BBDrmKit preset does is this:

-PRESS (quick tap) to select the next Drum Set
-LONG PRESS (press+hold) for the previous one

Note: This works ONLY from the main BB screen.
The BB screen shows the new Drum Set being loaded with each press, without entering the Drum Set screen. By the way, the INC/DEC-by-1 instruction I used here is a capability offered by MS on their devices and not by Singular Sound.

As you found out, when the BB is on the Drum Set screen (pressing the middle knob with your toes, perhaps! :sweat_smile:) you could then use the other INC/DEC presets to browse them.

Also, I am successfully controlling my Roland GR55 with my MC-6, with no issues.
From my experience with the MC-6 so far and from what we (You, I) have learned witht this exercise is that the “issues” you were (or still are) having are not Morningstar’s fault but MIDI limitations on the devices attached to their MIDI controllers or/and lack of proper information or experience from the user (You, I). I am very happy with their products and their customer support, and I’m not just saying that.

If/When I’m in Chitown I’ll accept your coffee… plus a croissant, thank you very much! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Cheers! All the best.

Hello,

After updating my mc8 to FIRMWARE 3.8.5 and Midi Editor 1.1.5 I have no more control of my expression pedal attach to port1

Prior to the fw update i was able to edit the controller via midi editor. I dont have any access to the controller to do changes .

ive tried different port but still no luck. Pls advise

LuisLugo
May 11

Hi! Thank you and you’re welcome!

About the BBDrmKit preset on my pic:

Singular Sound does not list a MIDI CC for the action of pressing (or turning) the Drum Set knob to enter the Drum Set page, I am afraid -as far as I know. They only offer CC 116 to go to a specific Drum Set and that’s the CC I used in my example. You could ask SS (Jay) and if they tell you there’s such a CC, please let.me know!

What he BBDrmKit preset does is this:

-PRESS (quick tap) to select the next Drum Set
-LONG PRESS (press+hold) for the previous one

Note: This works ONLY from the main BB screen.
The BB screen shows the new Drum Set being loaded with each press, without entering the Drum Set screen. By the way, the INC/DEC-by-1 instruction I used here is a capability offered by MS on their devices and not by Singular Sound.

As you found out, when the BB is on the Drum Set screen (pressing the middle knob with your toes, perhaps! :sweat_smile:) you could then use the other INC/DEC presets to browse them.

Also, I am successfully controlling my Roland GR55 with my MC-6, with no issues.

If/When I’m in Chitown I’ll accept your coffee… plus a croissant, thank you very much! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Cheers! All the best.

Hello,

After updating my mc8 to FIRMWARE 3.8.5 and Midi Editor 1.1.5 I have no more control of my expression pedal attach to port1

Prior to the fw update i was able to edit the controller via midi editor. I dont have any access to the controller to do changes .

ive tried different port but still no luck. i can see the exp % inc/dec but i dont see the expression screen in midi editor.

Any ideas?

james
May 9

jgmrecording:

Can you tell me how to remote control Singular sound BEATBUDDY folders and drum kits?
Ive read the manual and Im not having any luck. I dont see any information on your website on how to remote control beatbuddy.
Im able to remote control, fill, outro and etc but not FOLDER AND DRUM KITS,

Thanks,

I think you might need to be more specific in your question.

If you are asking how to

remote control Singular sound BEATBUDDY folders and drum kits

it is as per what is stated in the BB manual:

To access Folders 1-128,
First, send a CC#0 Value 0 message.
Then send a CC#32 message. The CC Value used here determines which folder is selected (between 1-128). A CC Value 0 selects Folder 1. A CC Value 127 selects Folder 127.
Then, send a Program change message to select the song in that folder.

If you want to access Folders 129-256, Your first CC#0 messages needs to have a value of 1.
Then send a CC#32 message. The CC Value used here determines which folder is selected (between 129-256). A CC Value 0 selects Folder 129. A CC Value 127 selects Folder 256.
Then send a PC message to select the song.

I guess you already know the above because you mentioned this in your reply:

I have beatbuddy that i cannot program to scroll to drum kits - it will only do one kit at a time and beatbuddy will not advance /scroll to folders and song - It does one a time only

If you are asking how to scroll through folders in the beat buddy, then I don’t think that is possible in the BB MIDI implementation.

As per what @LuisLugo stated,

Now, About selecting BB drum kits in a scrolling fashion, as far as I know that capability has not been provided by Singular Sound, other than the option to select a specific drum kit with a CC116 instruction.

You should raise that request or question to the Singular Sound team.

If you are asking how to scroll through songs, you can send incremental/decremental PC messages in the MC8. This is documented here: https://morningstarengineering.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/MMS/pages/372703233/Sending+incremental+decremental+PC+numbers+or+CC+Values

You should update to the latest v3.8.7 for the MC8. In the editor, check the Editor Settings tab. There is an option to load data using switch presses/exp. If not; you need to select the preset from the dropdown box on the top right of the editor where the preset label is.

Hello Luis!

I just got a beat buddy and Morningstar MK2 I would love some help in setting it up! my email is andresasalomon@gmail.com. let me know if you have time to help! I would appreciate it alot! thank you!

-Andres

Hi Andres.

Sure thing. Give me a little time to prepare an email to send you with some info and links, to start with, and we’ll take it from there.

Cheers!
Luis

1 Like